Please refresh my memory on valve names / identifications.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Externet

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello.
The only valves I used are the CGA850. Am lost in space for the names of other styles and their true 'industry' names.

1704749621692.png

I believe this is called XS ?
And the following is the XS mod ?

1704749812469.png

What is the name of the one that the regulator threads-in; no adapter ? Of european use ?

Where to find the dimensions of them; and the dimensions/threads of the following adapter and its proper industry name ?
1704750077519.png

Top one is a European (Italian) valve (made for the US market with a PRD) by San-o-Sub and sold under the Blue Steel brand. They kinda resemble the Thermo valve in configutration, but have a shorter stem seat arm. Also the base is flared (making heavier tanks harder on the knuckes to carry).

Thermo and XS are basically the same valves (both made by XS) but the XS valves come with the Fornicator knob that shows a red or green ring as the valve is closed/open. Also the XS uses an o-ring rather than a crush washer to seal the valve stem. Casting is accordingly different. The one you picture is for using with a manifold for doubles (log arm (threaded) across from the valve wheel with a plug inserted.) Note also the flat flange base making carry of heavier tanks more comfortabler on the knuckles (Thermo/XS design).

The name of the valve interface you are seeking is "DIN". There are two sexes of DIN valves: 300 BAR and 232 BAR. Usually the 300 BAR versions are used in Europe and the 232 are everywhere else. The 300 BAR DIN versions have a deeper housing throat with a couple more thread depth - this means you can't use the DIN/yoke converter (donut) on those - you have to have a dedicated 300 BAR reg. (Also note that most yoke reg yokes are too short to fit over a 300 BAR DIN valve, by design. A 300 BAR DIN reg will work fine with a 232 BAR DIN fitting - it will just leave a couple of threads exposed. A 232 BAR reg will not work with a 300 BAR DIN valve. Most regs I see now in DIN config are 300 BAR regardless.

It is commonly called a PRO or Modular valve, basically a DIN (D(eutsche) I(ndustrie) N(ormen)) valve with a "doughnut" insert to turn it into a yoke/K/international valve. DIN has standard threads and dimensions; the only major variance is the depth of the DIN valve; the deeper ones ate good for 3500 psi and higher, the shallower ones for 3442 and lower. The doughnut inserts are only for the lower-pressure DIN valves. THe XS you mention is XS Scuba, one of the manufacturers/sellers of valves and other stuff.

Thanks ! :oops:
Spank me, correct me where am failing the lesson...

CGA850 is the industry norm name for U.S.A. only.

XS is a brand, not a standard; manufactures two types of valves ; The XSscuba and the Thermo.
None are DIN, and none are CGA850, but may replace CGA850.

Both are available in other threaded flavors for adapters and tank threads to accept european DIN regulators or adapters by using what you call 'donut' that threads into the threaded flavor of the XS valves to allow fitting 'yoke' regulators. There is more than these flavors :
1704760672127.png

The 'donut' adapters are always hexagonal driven. There is adapter types for filling and for underwater use.
The longer tip (at bottom) is for over 3000psi.
1704761701100.png

The shorter tip is for 3000psi:
1704762134171.png

The valve-mating side o ring is exposed :
1704762263242.png

The regulator side o ring is recessed.
1704762364131.png
:

Thanks ! :oops:
Spank me, correct me where am failing the lesson...

CGA850 is the industry norm name for U.S.A. only.

XS is a brand, not a standard; manufactures two types of valves ; The XSscuba and the Thermo.
None are DIN, and none are CGA850, but may replace CGA850.

Both are available in other threaded flavors for adapters and tank threads to accept european DIN regulators or adapters by using what you call 'donut' that threads into the threaded flavor of the XS valves to allow fitting 'yoke' regulators. There is more than these flavors :
View attachment 819877

The 'donut' adapters are always hexagonal driven. There is adapter types for filling and for underwater use.
The longer tip (at bottom) is for over 3000psi. View attachment 819887

The shorter tip is for 3000psi:
View attachment 819888
The valve-mating side o ring is exposed :
View attachment 819889
The regulator side o ring is recessed. View attachment 819890:
What is your actual question? Are you trying to write a Wikipedia article? One already exists, which probably answers most of your questions.

Neither of your pictured valves are CGA850. Those are both DIN valves.
A standard scuba yoke valve utilizes a cga850 connection, but that is just the standard for mating, not the valve itself.

Back
Top Bottom