Please support more flights to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, Pidge, raising the dead?

reanimator.jpg

I have Wednesday flights already booked for November, so I was getting worried, but it looks like they reinstate the weekday flights as of September 29th. I wonder what reasoning they would have to pull the flights for a month & a half?

Hummm...could it be that people aren't traveling as much in the LOW/Hurricane season and the demand isn't there? Obviously people didn't book enough flights or show interest in this time period. Like other people have said, its only for a month or two and flights will be back.

Hummm...could it be that people aren't traveling as much in the LOW/Hurricane season and the demand isn't there? Obviously people didn't book enough flights or show interest in this time period. Like other people have said, its only for a month or two and flights will be back.

As far as I can remember Continental/United has done this for at least the last 3 years, including when it was just Continental. I usual go every August and I know I've had to deal with it before. I know last year for sure and pretty sure the same for the year before during low season and hurricane season. Don't forget, last year (or year before, can't remember) a named hurricane stumbled around just south of CZM for almost a week (in August) before hitting the mainland just south of CZM.

I also don't understand the people that think the resorts and dive ops should lower their prices even more because the airlines decides to cut back on flights. Yes, it looks like United added back a mid-week flight but if you look at the price it is half to almost double the weekend flight price, what does that solve.. example PHX to CZM (round trip).. Sunday 8/11 coach price is now listed at $524.XX and Thursday 8/15 coach price is now listed at $831.00 and Saturday 8/17 coach price is now listed at $488.00. So adding a flight and jacking up the price $3-$400.00 will surely turn people off.

Just about every travel destination in the states has a local hotel and resort association to deal with these types of situations. It would seem like Cozumel should have something like the same. If they don't they need to form one. They can put a lot more pressure on the airlines than individual divers can because they have a lot more to loose. Lowering the prices by the resorts and dive ops won't do a thing if you can't get there. The resorts would be better off pooling a small amount of money per room to subsidize the airlines to keep the daily flights going. With all the rooms on the island it wouldn't take much per room for the total to add up. They could pool a small amount year round so by the time the cutback came they would have a pretty sizable sum. Most resorts in the states have several added taxes (if not more) all listed as "resort tax" when you get your bill. I'm the last one to call for another tax, but it could be a good option.

I know some resorts run specials during August but what good does that do if you can't get there or have to pay hundreds more for the weekday flight there or home.

Some say it is only for two or three months so no big deal. But cutting flights to the island for 1/5 to almost 1/4 of the year seems like it would really take its toll on a lot of resorts and dive ops.

But then again, when you can dump 10,000 +/- people on the island every day from the cruise ships it sort of negates some of the impact of flight cutbacks, at least for the trinket shops and restaurants/bars.

Yes, it looks like United added back a mid-week flight but if you look at the price it is half to almost double the weekend flight price, what does that solve.. example PHX to CZM (round trip).. Sunday 8/11 coach price is now listed at $524.XX and Thursday 8/15 coach price is now listed at $831.00 and Saturday 8/17 coach price is now listed at $488.00. So adding a flight and jacking up the price $3-$400.00 will surely turn people off.
I don't see that for August or September? I searched PHX-CZM for 5 to 9 night stays, then limited to United only: Fares jump from about $650 to $850 on Aug 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12 but those all seemed to be connected to the same return flight. Aug 17 is drops to $489, and the mid week flights stop after Aug 12 until Sept 24. There are many possibilities, and I think your broad statement is in error. :idk:

Just about every travel destination in the states has a local hotel and resort association to deal with these types of situations. It would seem like Cozumel should have something like the same. If they don't they need to form one. They can put a lot more pressure on the airlines than individual divers can because they have a lot more to loose. Lowering the prices by the resorts and dive ops won't do a thing if you can't get there. The resorts would be better off pooling a small amount of money per room to subsidize the airlines to keep the daily flights going. With all the rooms on the island it wouldn't take much per room for the total to add up. They could pool a small amount year round so by the time the cutback came they would have a pretty sizable sum. Most resorts in the states have several added taxes (if not more) all listed as "resort tax" when you get your bill. I'm the last one to call for another tax, but it could be a good option.
Cozumel is in Mexico. Won't work. :shakehead:

Holy cow..guess I did raise the dead..but it looks like things haven't changed much in the last three years ! I don't feel so bad revisiting the thread now that others have joined in with comments..so there cv !!!!:blinking:

Holy cow..guess I did raise the dead..but it looks like things haven't changed much in the last three years ! I don't feel so bad revisiting the thread now that others have joined in with comments..so there cv !!!!:blinking:
I once asked NetDoc about closing old threads. He said they are kept open for good reason. :wink:

I don't see that for August or September? I searched PHX-CZM for 5 to 9 night stays, then limited to United only: Fares jump from about $650 to $850 on Aug 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12 but those all seemed to be connected to the same return flight. Aug 17 is drops to $489, and the mid week flights stop after Aug 12 until Sept 24. There are many possibilities, and I think your broad statement is in error.

Those numbers were taken right off United's website before I posted to the thread (actually had two windows open when I posted). Here are the screen shots showing the dates, 8/11, 8/15, 8/17. Works the same for the following week also when there isn't a Monday flight because of the cutbacks.

11.png22.png33.png

Those numbers were taken right off United's website before I posted to the thread (actually had two windows open when I posted). Here are the screen shots showing the dates, 8/11, 8/15, 8/17. Works the same for the following week also when there isn't a Monday flight because of the cutbacks.

View attachment 158046View attachment 158047View attachment 158048
Ok I suggest that your previous statement was too broad to be accurate. In my attempt to see exactly what you saw, I am challenged by not knowing your return dates. As I explained previously, the 5 days in a row that fares were so much higher were all tied to the same return flight on the cusp of the change. And it certainly does not work "the same for the following week"...

Limiting my search to August departures, one plane change only to keep plans reasonable, United only, 5 to 9 night stay possible, this gives an idea of fares with that one airline on available flights. When I limited to United only, it just crossed out other fares possible making it a little hard to see when offered here, so I circled available fares in red...
Aug.jpg

When I view all airlines tho, there are tickets under $600 almost every day - which are the fares crossed out. If you'd like to find tickets, I'd be glad to try to help - but your general statement fails.

A rather silly statement but then again you know everything ?
How snarky. :laughing: I'm no expert on how things work with the government and culture in Mexico, certainly not qualified to explain the differences, so I'll just leave my shared opinion as it - and accept your insult with a smile. :crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom