Plus Size Women Learning to Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ladycute1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It was hard to decide whear to post this... but, the audience is really women, so I thought I would post it here.

I recently attended a conference for plus size women (large women, fat women, you choose whichever POSITVE description you prefer). At the conference, I presented a workshop on learning to SCUBA dive as a fat woman. My point was that it was possible to do something quite adventurous and very physical -- and I didn't need to wait until "I lose weight". And, since I started to dive, I have become much more physically active and have felt much better about myself.

Some of the women who attended my workshop about SCUBA voiced a desire to combine a Hawaii trip to learn SCUBA with some fat fellowship. I've been giving the idea some thought, and decided to see what the overall level of interest is. I'm planning a trip to Hawaii in February (2002). The reason I have chosen that time is that it should be just about the peak of whale season. I was in Hawaii last February, and I saw many whales both from shore and from boats, but the most amazing thing was hearing and feeling (the vibrations in your body) the whale song while under water.

If you know someone who might be interested in this, please have them drop me a note (theratech@home.com) , and I'll send more information along with the details as they unfold.

OK - let me start by saying that I think this is a great idea, and I am also 'gravitationally challenged' (Yes - I'm a BIG guy - 6'6" and 350 lbs) - so LadyCute - please take this in the humour in which it is intended - but does anyone else find it just funny as hell to have a diving class and fat fellowship opportunity in Hawaii - at THE PEAK OF WHALE SEASON????

(Honestly - I am still laughing so hard as I type this that tears are streaming down my face! <S> )

Regulators - if you fail to see the humor in my post and feel too many may be offended - please delete my input.

Thanks!

-Jim

Jim....as someone who is too short for their weight, I didn't notice the irony until you pointed it out. Then I fell off my chair laughing!

No offense to me :p

In these days of "political correctness", it is refreshing to see people who can enjoy a pleasant laugh together, and not take offense, where none is intended.
And kudos to people who are happy with themselves-they make things nicer for everyone.
Take care,
Miked

If I may pose a question here...Are there any other Reubenesque Divemaster females out ther, and were you, well, pleasingly plump when you submitted your application? The physics exam was nothing! i'm afraid I won't pass the medical. I am healthy in every way except that i am slightly "undertall" for my weight.

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the question. (By the way, if you want to take any of this conversation private, feel free to email me at theratech@attbi.com)

First, I am not yet a Dive Master, I recently completed the Rescue Diver Certification. I expect to begin Dive Master during 2002.

In terms of the physical stuff... let me say that I am NOT a medical doctor and I am not trying to give any medical advice.

I have not had any physical problems related to diving. I have demonstrated my fitness to dive through experience. There are ways that my weight helps me when I dive, and there are certainly ways that diving helps my level of health and fitness. I would suggest that you take the medical clearance form to your physician and discuss it with him or her. If further information is needed your doctor (or you for that matter) can consult with DAN.

I have read some opinions that say obesity is a contraindication to diving. As I read the info, it seems that there are two main issues related to obesity; one is a greater risk of dcs and the other relates to cardiovascular risk, aerobic conditioning, and physical stamina. As far as the dcs goes, I recognize the risk, and do everything I can to mitigate -- I set my computer at a very conservative logarithm, I drink tons of water to make sure I am adequately hydrated, I plan my dives carefully with regard to nitrogen loading, and I always make a safety stop, usually 5 minutes instead of 3, and of course, I continue to work on keeping my ascents nice and slow. As for the aerobic fitness/ cardio vascular issue, I believe that it IS possible for a fat person to be fit. ... and, slowly, that idea is gaining some acceptance. I try to work out, doing aerobic exercise regularly. I do recognize that my weight may put me at a greater risk for certain diving problems, and I take those risks into careful consideration and dive accordingly.

I'm not sure if this is what you were asking... feel free to drop me a line, or post other questions here.

Well said, ladycute1 :) and I agree 100%.

Lisa...I am a fat woman who dives. I've also been a working PADI Divemaster for over 3 years and haven't had any problems because of my weight. I pass the physical, including cardio and stress tests, every year.

I've had quite a few women students who were encouraged to get certified because they see me as an example of what you can do and still be overweight. I was the same way. It wasn't until I met a short little Instructor who was almost as wide as she was tall that I felt confident to take the course myself.

You have to be comfortable with yourself and have confidence in your abilities, which is true for any Divemaster, any diver. Don't let your weight keep you from doing anything you want to do as long as you do it safely.

As ladycute said:
As for the aerobic fitness/ cardio vascular issue, I believe that it IS possible for a fat person to be fit. ... and, slowly, that idea is gaining some acceptance. I try to work out, doing aerobic exercise regularly. I do recognize that my weight may put me at a greater risk for certain diving problems, and I take those risks into careful consideration and dive accordingly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom