Plus Size Women Learning to Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee and Ladycute1:
You have no idead how much I've been stressing over this! As you both probably know, living with weight issues can and does wreak havoc on the old self esteem. I've been kind of fortunate in my attitude all my life in a sort of "Take Me As I Am" mentality and it has thus far gotten me through nicely. When I found diving, I was ecstatic! A SPORT that I loved and excelled at AND the "Skinny-Minis" had nothing on me! It seems that I was born to dive, and in a very short time, according to my instructors and dive buddies, have developed a very natural abilty. From the start, I knew that I had to share this gift with as many as possible and that meant becomming an instructor. All was well right up until I started DM class. I AM one of those rediculously healthy individuals, I work out regularly, am never sick and my doctor asks why I bother comming to her. I also happen to be overweight. I too, follow very conservative dive plans and avoid alchohol and all that but I was very afraid that once again, my weight would get in the way. Thank you for the words of support and encouragement. It means a great deal. Once again, this extended family that us divers seem to have formed the world over has amazed me. Again, I thank you and look out PADI, here I come!:D

Just a reminder... this trip---Plus Size women diving in Hawaii is 'a go'. Our dates are February 1 - 8. there are still a few slots available. If you knwo anyone who might be interested, have them email me at theratech@attbi.com

We also have a couple of experienced divers going.. so it should be lots of fun!

Liz

I too am a "plus size"diver.
While I am fairly new to the sport, I have found no restrictions on my diving as a result of my weight. My initial Instructor and the four DM's I have worked with since starting in SCUBA have all been overweight.

Unfortunately, I wont have vacation time to go to Hawaii, but I would love to keep hearing about the group that goes.

My husband is in the military and has always remained fit. On our last trip (to Cozumel), he indicated that I had surpased him in capability.

in the ice cold waters here. I have yet to see any of them who learn here keep up with it. Even in a drysuit, when the water is 39 degrees (as it was last night) one gets cold after about 30 minutes. Most of them cannot keep up with the rigors of northern diving.

I am a plus size divemaster. In addition I am on the SEAS team (we perform underwater rescue and recovery). There are only two women divers on this team, and neither of us are slim. Often spending between 40 and 70 minutes under the water, if you do not have some natural insulation, you would not be able to function.

I have found that if healthy, size does not limit what you can do, unless you let it. ages

Just a quick note to say hello and Happy New Year! Trust you are all looking forward to this fresh start as mush as I. For you gals headed for Hawaii in Feb., have a terrific time, I would love to go, but am booke on a cruise with Mom and Dad. Southern Carribean Itinerary, seven islands, 15 dives!!! Are we there yet???:mean:

Oh how I'd love to go on this trip, but am already going on a trip to Florida in Feb. and the old pocketbook won't go that far. I am a plus size diver, still new, but love it, and have found the only thing negative related to my weight is the amount of weight I need to put into my bc (just got a weight intergrated one, woo hoo!). It started at 43 lbs. which was no fun to sling on the old weight belt. Now it's down to around 35 or so and I'm told the more I dive the less I'll need. Thank goodness. Getting a wetsuit made to order made a lot of difference in comfort too. Please keep us posted on any more trips like this.

Thanks!
Lisa:snorkel:

My partner and I are going to Tahiti in March, but your Hawaii trip sounds like great fun!

I was quite a "large diver" until Weight Watchers - lost 50 pounds over about 12 months. Still no skinny-minny, so if you plan more trips, I hope Lydia and I can be included!

Good Luck, and have fun! Wave at the whales for us!

Scuba-sass :)

Hey Gang!!

Glad to hear about the interest... the February trip is still on... we will be going even though we have a small group (at least in numbers).... we still could squeeze in one or two last minute adds!!

There has been so much interest in this trip with requests for a later date, that I am tentatively planning Big Adventure #2 for late June of this year. I'm not planning any of the details until after the February trip -- (I want to learn from my mistakes before making new ones.)

Keep in mind that there is no size 'minimum' for this trip. It's being planned to create a safe and comfortable environment for large women, but that does not mean that we would exclude small or average size women - as long as they were "fat friendly".

Liz

I am also in the same boat. Are there any ideas for who makes good, reasonably-priced wet suits that fit well for women who are too short for their weight? The few that I've tried on to fit over my pear-shaped body have the knee pads down close to my ankles (I'm 5'0" tall). Have ended up wearing guys' medium sizes, but then there's extra wetsuit in the top half, and extremely binding in the bottom half, and still way too long. I get cold easily, so I'd like to find one that goes down to my ankles.

KoralKat

KoralKat - I would recommend LiguidFit. They are great....well made custom wetsuits....fast turnaround....Carolyn is just wonderful to work with. She has made my suit, and my husbands.....he is 6'7" and 350pds. You can reach her at

Carolyn Tomes
Liquid Fit
1-800-785-8362
www.liquidfit.com

Back
Top Bottom