PNG, Komodo or Wakatobi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reubencahn once bubbled...
Aqua One looks great but they're all booked up for the summer. Grand Komodo may be more rustic than my wife will tolerate. I've made that mistake before. But Komodo with some time in Bali seems like it would work for us. It's hard deciding. I've always wanted to go to PNG as well.

I noticed that most trip in August on Aqua One is booked up on the website but it might be worthwhile checking with them directly. I was on Aqua One this past weekend and mentioned to the owner of the boats that my friends and I certainly are interested in doing the Komodo trip in August and they did not mention anything about being completely booked during that month. We also want to do it in August and hopefully do a day or two in Bali as I was told that August is the best time to try to see the sunfish in Bali as well.

JulieParkhurst once bubbled...
Wakatobi Hands down.

You won't regret it.

Julie

Julie, have you been to Komodo or PNG? What did you like best about Wakatobi?

Reuben

Komodo's great diving but ASAIK there's no really nice resorts around there for a land based holiday. Labuan Bajo on Flores is not a bad place to stay for a couple of nights but wouldn't recommend it for a holiday. You can however choose to look at the Komodo dragons on Komodo island, or take a boat trip from Labuan Bajo to any one of the beautiful unhabited islands and spend the day on the beach, snorkelling, drinking fruit juice. Lovely, but pretty basic.

Definitly PNG!! I spend approx 1 month there a year. I use the liveaboard MV FeBrina captained by Alan Raabe. It goes to New Britian and New Ireland islands depending on the prevailing weather. They are the best and will guide you to incredible sites. This year the crew will be on the Star Dancer and so will I.

I agree with Allison, PNG is absolutely spectacular. The Wakatobi website is very nice but overhyped and what they don't tell you is that the variety of diving, air tank quality and number of DMs is VERY limited. All in our group got digestive tract problems (runs). PNG is a bit of a flight but well worth the extra effort.

I disagree with julieparkhurst about wakatobi
they have a nice website and extensive marketing but I found it to be all hype.

1) The SCUBA tank air was bad quality and they don't have Nitrox, which requires much cleaner delivery systems.
2) There were only 4 dive areas, not much variety. Only one had great walls but you only got to do that once per day as it was a long 1+ hour boat ride out (only 2 boat dives per day).
3) They only permit 1 entrance point and 1 exit point on the House reef and with raging currents that is a 10 min dive.
4) There were only 4 dive masters for 30 people and Lorenz Maeder gave 2 Dr.s private dives meaning 11 of us were assigned to go with one divemaster in a cattle dive.
5) Photogrpahers came last. With 11 divers the DM insisted that photogs wait in line and only after all non-photog divers had seen the subjects were we permitted to photograph them.
6) LOTS of trash on the house reef. We were dissappointed at the number of fish traps that the local fisherman have on the Barracuda reef despite the website claims they have contracts with the local fisherman against such activity.
7) The website claims AC is not needed but they are within 5 degrees of the equator and we absolutely boiled.
8) Rats and mosquitos in the rooms - despite claims otherwise on their website. They have "bungalows" which are loosely made huts.

For $250/day, next time I'd do a liveaboard like the KOMODO Dancer, Pelagian or Ocean Rover where you get a broader variety of diving, better air tank quality, Nitrox, more DMs, nice facilities for camera gear and better accomodations.

I would add Bunaken to your list. Several resorts an hour from the airport. Direct SilkAir flights to Manado from Singapore. Komodo diving is good but can be cold and no good land-based resorts. PNG also good. Just a matter of how you find the logistics from where you are starting.

Thanks to everyone for all the help. Decided to head to PNG. Will do 10 days on the Golden Dawn from Wewak to the Niningo and Hermits Islands then back to Madang. Then possibly a couple of days at either Jais Aben or Loloata. Maybe next year I'll make it to Indonesia. I'm using up my USAir miles (before they go belly up) to fly United to Sydney and will be there for a few days. If anyone has suggestions for things to do in Sydney for a few days, I'd love to hear them. Again, thanks for all the advice.

Reuben

reubencahn:
Thanks to everyone for all the help. Decided to head to PNG. Will do 10 days on the Golden Dawn from Wewak to the Niningo and Hermits Islands then back to Madang. Then possibly a couple of days at either Jais Aben or Loloata. Maybe next year I'll make it to Indonesia. I'm using up my USAir miles (before they go belly up) to fly United to Sydney and will be there for a few days. If anyone has suggestions for things to do in Sydney for a few days, I'd love to hear them. Again, thanks for all the advice.

Reuben

are you going I'll be your bag man or whatever you want.
Have a great time, it will be hard not to.
David

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom