PNG, Komodo or Wakatobi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reubencahn:
I'm trying to put together a family dive trip for next summer (late July or August). I've run the searches, read every post I could, consulted my Undercurrent Chapbooks for the last five years and pm'd some board members, but I still need some advice. I'm hoping to do about two weeks (excluding travel time) in one of these three places. If it's Komodo or PNG, I would probably split the time between a shorter, one week, liveaboard and land. I'm inclined from what I've read to think that PNG is superior to either Komodo or Wakatobi, but I'm not sure and I remain a bit nervous about resistant malaria in PNG. (One of the divers is my 12 year old son.)

So where would you go? Which has the best diving? Which would be the most fun? And if you say PNG, where would you go?

A hard question to answer it all depends on what you want see. The habits in PNG, Komodo and Waktobi are different have different things to offer. To combine a Diving trip with a great land expereince I would pick Indonesia where the culture is a really great experinece and has excellent land excursions.

For pristine reefs and diversity it is hard to choose between Komodo and Wakatobi both are equally great in theri own right.

Komodo has great diving for macro in Horsehoe bay (Rinja Island) and you could easily spend 4 days diving here with great dive sites like Cannibal rock, Yellow Wall, Criniod Canyon, Torpedo Alley (night dive) the Pinnacle etc etc. Tempreature in the southern part of the park is sometimes 10-15 degrees F cooler than the north part (only 15 miles different. I would always do Komodod by Liveaboard to maximise the diving in the one area.

Wakatobi has an excellent house reef and great wall diving, have not been to the outer wester reefs yet but believe that they are also great.

PNG also has a lot to offer but flights internally can be a real pain at times. But have exellent diving out of Kimbe, Kavieng, Milne bay and even Port Moresby.

So really first I guess you need to determine what it is you want to see first.

Wayan:
A hard question to answer it all depends on what you want see. The habits in PNG, Komodo and Waktobi are different have different things to offer. To combine a Diving trip with a great land expereince I would pick Indonesia where the culture is a really great experinece and has excellent land excursions.

For pristine reefs and diversity it is hard to choose between Komodo and Wakatobi both are equally great in theri own right.

Komodo has great diving for macro in Horsehoe bay (Rinja Island) and you could easily spend 4 days diving here with great dive sites like Cannibal rock, Yellow Wall, Criniod Canyon, Torpedo Alley (night dive) the Pinnacle etc etc. Tempreature in the southern part of the park is sometimes 10-15 degrees F cooler than the north part (only 15 miles different. I would always do Komodod by Liveaboard to maximise the diving in the one area.

Wakatobi has an excellent house reef and great wall diving, have not been to the outer wester reefs yet but believe that they are also great.

PNG also has a lot to offer but flights internally can be a real pain at times. But have exellent diving out of Kimbe, Kavieng, Milne bay and even Port Moresby.

So really first I guess you need to determine what it is you want to see first.

Interesting to read your reply. It's actually a year + later, so I've made a couple of trips in the meantime. Last year we dove northern PNG on the Golden Dawn. This year we went to Lembeh at Kungkungan Bay and Komodo on the Kararu.

Based on what I saw, I would say Indonesia has a higher concentration of unique critters but PNG has the more pristine reefs and abundant life. Certainly none of the reefs outside of Horseshoe Bay matched the richness of the reefs I saw. But I saw more weird creatures this year than I ever would have expected. Bottom line for me, I enjoyed PNG more for both remoteness and beauty. I will definitely return to PNG. I'm not sure if I'll ever go back to Komodo.

I should also mention that while my experience on the Golden Dawn was fantastic, I was gravely disappointed with Kararu. I'll post a full report as soon as I'm able (only back 2 days) but suffice it to say, I will definitely never book with them again.

Just got back from a trip to Northern PNG on the Golden Dawn (Wewak to Madang). I'll be posting a full report at some point but the executive summary is that despite some air-travel foibles it was fully worth it. Amazing hard corals, some nice wrecks, lots of sharks, etc. Vis wasn't the best by tropical standards but that didn't really detract from the diving. The Golden Dawn is a good operation and I highly recommend it. More to come when I get caught up with the real world...

Clinton

reubencahn:
Based on what I saw, I would say Indonesia has a higher concentration of unique critters but PNG has the more pristine reefs and abundant life. ............ I'm not sure if I'll ever go back to Komodo.

Sorry to hear that your trip on the Karau and Komodo did not meet your expectations.

It is a sad stroy world wide where the pristine reefs are disappearing rapidly... Have been up to Wakatobi and Raja Empat recently and the reefs in and around these two areas also were very very alive and teaming with life and very exquisite corals. Komodo has always been one of favourites with some great macro diving in horseshoe bay (rinja) and black sand diving at Saneang Island (active volcano).

Wayan

Wayan:
Sorry to hear that your trip on the Karau and Komodo did not meet your expectations.

It is a sad stroy world wide where the pristine reefs are disappearing rapidly... Have been up to Wakatobi and Raja Empat recently and the reefs in and around these two areas also were very very alive and teaming with life and very exquisite corals. Komodo has always been one of favourites with some great macro diving in horseshoe bay (rinja) and black sand diving at Saneang Island (active volcano).

Wayan

Horseshoe Bay entirely lived up to its reputation. I can't imagine it's been damaged at all. Likewise, Sangeang has fantastic black sand diving. However, I think the more conventional reefs on the north side of the park are not in the same condition as those in PNG etc. It is sad, but Indonesia is a much more populous nation than PNG, and there has been more bombing, poisoning etc.

My real disappointment was not so much with the sites but with Kararu. There were a string of small issues that added up to a fairly negative experience. As I said, I'll try to post a report later but if anyone needs info in contemplation of a booking, PM me.

Wakatobi Hands down.

You won't regret it.

Julie
I've just given a deposit for Wakatobi starting 8/22/08 for 11 days, but after reading some of the above reviews, yours seemed to be the only positive one. Someone said N.Sulawesi Gangga Island had the same diving for half the price of Wakatobi. I'm not much for cold water, currents, or muck diving. Have I made a mistake? My previous diving has been in Fiji - Taveuni, Beqa, Kadavu. Much as I enjoyed those, was hoping for even better coral, fish, etc. Have you been to any of those, and if so, how does it compare? What did you love about Wakatobi not previously mentioned on their website? Would be most grateful for your comments, or anyone else's. thanks.

I (we) have been to Wakatobi twice, great experience. unlimited shore diving, think i did an average of 42 dives each visit. food is fantastic, accomodatios are top notch. geogrpahically has to be one of the most beautiful places in the world. Staff is extremely courteous and knowledgable, and did I mention the diving? OMG!!!!! They have the option of splitting your time there between their live aboard and land based. Great way to see the most of the area.
You fly through Bali as a gateway city. From there they fly you out to there own airstip, transfer you by van & boat to the island where the resort is located....
I have no reservations about referring anyone to Wakatobi!

I can tell you more about PNG on October 7th, 2008. That will be my (our) first day back from Tawali in Milne bay PNG. We are doing three nights land and 8 nights on Spirit of Nuguini. Can not wait......Anyone interested in joining our group? We need one more pax. departing US on 09/20/08 returning 10/06/02 $3470 US not including air.

Reuben,

If you're uncertain about PNG, you may want to consider Fiji. Phenominal diving, safe/friendly for your son, and you don't have to be on a live aboard....can get to know the locals (that's always a big one for me, and may be easier for a 12 yr old)

I stayed @ Garden Island (dive outfit...Aquatrek) on Taveuni in '06 and am going back to get married there. Great dives, good outfit, and shore based activities as well that you & your son would enjoy. Snorkelling/shore diving right in front of resort, or kayak to small island in front of resort, waterfalls & natural waterslides, etc.

I also did a week w/Aquatrek on Viti Levu. Diving's not as spectacular as Taveuni (but nothing is!), but good shark dive and safe outfit. On the grounds of Pearl hotel (a little fancier), or down the road is Uprising Beach Resort (right on beach, private bures).

I know it's not the area you asked about, but just thought it might be better w/your son :)

Good luck either way!

-Michael

Horseshoe Bay entirely lived up to its reputation. I can't imagine it's been damaged at all. Likewise, Sangeang has fantastic black sand diving. However, I think the more conventional reefs on the north side of the park are not in the same condition as those in PNG etc. It is sad, but Indonesia is a much more populous nation than PNG, and there has been more bombing, poisoning etc.

My real disappointment was not so much with the sites but with Kararu. There were a string of small issues that added up to a fairly negative experience. As I said, I'll try to post a report later but if anyone needs info in contemplation of a booking, PM me.

Yes the reeds in the norther part of the park are no where as good as down south, reefs up in Wakatobi are good Raja Empat are better and IMHO none compare to those in Kimbe Bay, Fathers, Witus area, POM as some really excellent ones as well. Fiji, Solomons, Great Barrier reefs......... etc reefs just do not compare to any of these.

Hi. I was at Wakatobi in June 2006. It was superb. The diving was very well-organized and the dive guides were very good at pointing out the small stuff. There's not much to do but dive there, so it depends on how well your kids entertain themselves as to whether they'd like it. But the food is great and I had no complaints whatsoever when I was there.

-Lisa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom