PNW drysuit diver... singles wing size?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt S.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm thinking about putting together a bp/w to replace my Ranger. What size wing do you other local dry divers use for a single tank?

Currently I rent HP 80s, and use 32 lbs of weight total with my 4mm compressed neoprene drysuit. I intend to purchase a 100-120 cf tank later this year. I do not intend to ever dive doubles.

(It would be a big bonus if the bp/w system could also be used for vacation warm water dives but I don't know if that is practical.)

I'm in no hurry to put the system together... I just want to get an idea of what I need so I can take advantage of deals and good used parts when I stumble on them.

Matt S.:
(It would be a big bonus if the bp/w system could also be used for vacation warm water dives but I don't know if that is practical.)
I've heard that bp/w do work good for travel. You just have to purchace an extra aluminum backplate to lighten the load while traveling instead of taking along the SS bp. Never tried it, just what I heard and thought it made sense.

I'd suggest about a 45# wing. You may want to use a 100# tank and a little extra is always good. But not too much bigger.

Jack

I use a DSS 30# wing, diving single steel 95's and 130's, occasionally slinging a pony bottle. It provides more than enough lift. Like you, I wear a neoprene drysuit.

It's very practical to use a bpw system in warm water. I recently packed that wing and stainless steel backplate to Cozumel, and it worked great.

Thanks for the input everyone.

TASea, how to you add weight to your rig? Load up the backplate with weights and top it off with a quick-release belt?

Because of the crotch strap, my weight belt is not ditchable. I suspect the same is true of others. The backplate is about 6 pounds of weight (or so), and the rest is on your belt.

The backplate weighs 5 lbs, I don't add any weight to it (though you can bolt DSS weight plates on it). I carry 22#-24# of lead in a Dive Rite weight harness. The weight can be ditched without hanging up on the crotch strap - ditch all at once, half at a time, or open the pouches and pull out individual weights.

Matt S.:
I'm thinking about putting together a bp/w to replace my Ranger. What size wing do you other local dry divers use for a single tank?

Currently I rent HP 80s, and use 32 lbs of weight total with my 4mm compressed neoprene drysuit. I intend to purchase a 100-120 cf tank later this year. I do not intend to ever dive doubles.

I'm in no hurry to put the system together... I just want to get an idea of what I need so I can take advantage of deals and good used parts when I stumble on them.

With a Jacket BC, an HP 80, reg and 32 lbs of lead I can assume your drysuit is about 32 lbs positive.

With a medium SS backplate and 8 lb s weight plate, a HP120 and reg your rig will be about 27 lbs negative with a full bottle, maybe -30 with a can light added.

You need ~30 lbs of wing to float your rig, and a bit more to compensate for your Drysuit.

In addition your rig represents, with weight plates about 16-18 lbs of ballast,leaving another ~16lbs in a weight belt.

I would recommend 35 lb wing. We make a 35 lbs wing that offer a bit more lift at your hips, helpful when you still have a 14-16 lbs weight belt.

Tobin

Thanks for the info Tobin, that's a good looking wing... nice and narrow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom