Pocket content

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iztok

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there a "standard" on what to put in pockets in your dry/wet suit?

Especially I am talking Hogartian system that doesn't have integrated pockets (and even not desirable to have them).

What goes into the right and what goes to the left pocket? How do you keep the items secure?

Right pocket is for my wet notes and spare mask.

Left pocket is for SMB and spool.

Both of my drysuits have D-rings sewn into the pocket. I have put a loop of bungee on the D-ring and use double-enders to secure stuff to the bungee loops.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've heard of two "systems," which oddly are directly contradictory:

System 1: Safety/backup items in the right pocket, and "utility" items, which you expect to use during the dive in the left pocket. So if you plan to shoot an SMB, keep that in the left, and put your backup mask, spare double enders, etc. in the right. If you don't plan on using the SMB, put it in the right pocket. If you plan to use your wetnotes, put them in the left.

System 2: Exactly the reverse.

In the end, just be mindful and/or consistent about it, and make sure your buddy knows where you're keeping your various items (include pocket contents in your pre-dive check).

Typically for my team:

Right pocket is a "flat pocket" and has wetnotes, with a set of vinyl backup tables and a signaling mirror tucked into the cover flap.

Left pocket is a "bellows pocket" and has 150' safety spool, small frameless backup mask and a set of EMT shears, all secured to a length of bungy cord with double enders. Sometimes I'll throw a couple of extra items in there if needed.

Anything else I carry is secured to my harness. Backup lights are on shoulder harness. Line markers are secured on a piece of bungie on left chest D-ring. Lift bag is secured in two bungie loops at the bottom of backplate and clipped off to butt D-ring. Extra reels/spools are clipped off to hip or butt D-rings as appropriate.

I keep a mask, shears, jon line (if I'm bringing one), safety spool (if I'm bringing one), line markers (if I'm bringing them) in my right,

I keep my pre-loaded SMB, wetnotes, car key (if I'm bringing one) in my left.

I use the right pocket for things used all the time, a utility pocket, so to speak. This has things like wetnotes, spare double enders, spool, folding knife, etc.

The left pocket is a bit smaller, and fits the SMB and spare mask perfectly.

I choose to do this because there's usually stage and deco bottles in the way of the left pocket, so I can't see it easily, or quickly reach into it. I can see the right pocket, and, it's easier to delve into often.

The left pocket has only two things in it, and it's very easy to tell a SMB from a mask by feel.

<sigh> This configuration makes me apparently at odds with the GUE way:

2. With regard to pocket contents and placement:
The lack of standardized placement for equipment stowed in a diver&#8217;s pockets continues to create confusion among dive teams and may be considered a hazard during emergencies in which a dive buddy needs to assist an incapacitated or troubled diver. Therefore, GUE has agreed to standardize the placement of equipment in a diver&#8217;s pockets. While it is understood that arguments might be made on all sides it has been agreed that the diver&#8217;s left pocket will hold &#8220;utility&#8221; equipment while the right pocket should hold &#8220;safety&#8221; equipment. This convention allows divers to become familiar with placement which will best serve them in all diving scenarios. For example, a diver using a scooter can access &#8220;utility&#8221; items while scootering. Utility items include but are not limited to a primary SMB, double end clips, stage carry loops, jump spools etc.; safety items include a reserve SMB, spare mask, safety spool, wet notes etc.

I chose a pocket contents layout that works very well for me, and my teammates know what that layout is (and most of them are similar). Oddly, I find many GUE trained divers that use a similar layout to mine.

All the best, James

I typically keep my SMB/Spool in my left pocket, wet notes, backup tables, shears in my right pocket. As long as you discuss pocket contents as part of your pre dive routine I don't see much trouble with either way.

Flashlight, and integrated compass retractable slate right pocket, backup computer, foldable snorkel and condoms in the left pocket.

It always pays to be prepared.

When I was in the Scouts in Australia we used to carry condoms to carry water in an emergency. What do you use them for during diving? Are they for your rifle, or for your... gun?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom