Point-for-point on what's missing from OW Classes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

Hey! finally a good argument for doing it all with home study. If the student knows how to read and the instructor doesn't have anything to say anyway... You might as well do it without the instructor.
You weener Mike.:wink:

You know darn well home study works well in conjunction with classroom presentations.

Home study alone does not but home study with classroom sessions to emphasize major points and answer question works well for me.

You weener!:)

gedunk once bubbled...
You weener Mike.:wink:

You know darn well home study works well in conjunction with classroom presentations.

Home study alone does not but home study with classroom sessions to emphasize major points and answer question works well for me.

You weener!:)

I agree home study is great in conjunction with class presentations not instead of. Home allows the student to come to class prepared to hear the rest of the story and frees the instructor from having to recite the abc's. I fear though that some instructors are just administering tests and skipping the elaboration. I was kind of going back to what started the thread and that was me saying that I still needed classroom time. And who are you calling a weener? A weener? LOL

DiverBuoy once bubbled...

I assure you that you won't pass the IE without complete mastery over buoyancy. In my IE the examiner placed us in 10 feet of water and made us stay stationary in the center of the water column without touching the bottom or surfacing for 5 MINUTES. If you finned, floated, or bounced you failed. IME stories of PADI leniency have been greatly exaggerated.

[/B]

Scuse me while I clean up the coffee I just snorted out my nose! My IE was populated mostly by some of the worst trained divers I've ever seen. Most passed, and this was at PADI HQ!

What's left out of the OW class? GOOD INSTRUCTORS! People with usable brains. Much as it galls me to do so :), I sort of agree with DB. The stuff is in the course. If I say, "teach bouyancy", the knowledgable, skillful and diligent instructor will (should!) teach trim because that's PART of "buoyancy". If you teach fin pivots and hovering thinking that's buoyancy, then you aren't thinking the skills through. This sort of thinking can apply to any of the topics or skills taught.

Neil
NAUI and (sigh) PADI instructor

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

I agree home study is great in conjunction with class presentations not instead of. Home allows the student to come to class prepared to hear the rest of the story and frees the instructor from having to recite the abc's. I fear though that some instructors are just administering tests and skipping the elaboration. I was kind of going back to what started the thread and that was me saying that I still needed classroom time. And who are you calling a weener? A weener? LOL
Well, i figured weener would make it past big brother.:wink: :wink:

I was just joshin ya.

neil once bubbled...

Scuse me while I clean up the coffee I just snorted out my nose! My IE was populated mostly by some of the worst trained divers I've ever seen. Most passed, and this was at PADI HQ!

What's left out of the OW class? GOOD INSTRUCTORS! People with usable brains. Much as it galls me to do so :), I sort of agree with DB. The stuff is in the course. If I say, "teach bouyancy", the knowledgable, skillful and diligent instructor will (should!) teach trim because that's PART of "buoyancy". If you teach fin pivots and hovering thinking that's buoyancy, then you aren't thinking the skills through. This sort of thinking can apply to any of the topics or skills taught.

Neil
NAUI and (sigh) PADI instructor
Well neil, i guess you got assigned to the remedial IE. Whats that say about you? Snort ... snort!

I think it all comes down to the instructor - mine went way past the basic requirements for BOW, but then if he didn't not many of his students would survive. I learnt in the UK.

OW and AOW is nothing more than get (to borrow Mike's phrase) underwater toruists into the water - as far as that goes great.

But it saddens me when you hear about some of the deaths of BOW divers. How can this be?

The best thing PADI could do is drop the word "Advanced" in any course shourt of IE - even then it is a push. I was commented on the configuration and attitude (all out of the water) of one diver only to find he was a senior CD.

If you want an example of why teaching the minimum standards and making the students to do mostly self study go to Guam, Sipan or any other popular Japanese holiday destination - thankfully the ones that dive at home are usually much better.

Back to topic - what's left off the BOW? Making sure they know to buy the DM a beer afterwards.... :D

gedunk once bubbled...
Well neil, i guess you got assigned to the remedial IE. Whats that say about you? Snort ... snort!

Yeah, I guess they saw me coming: "hey, here comes another one of those NAUI crossovers, put him in with the mouth breathers!" This IE was a real eye-opener.

Honestly, it doesn't say f--k-all about me. You aren't going to call me a weener, are you? :)

Neil

neil once bubbled...

Yeah, I guess they saw me coming: "hey, here comes another one of those NAUI crossovers, put him in with the mouth breathers!" This IE was a real eye-opener.

Honestly, it doesn't say f--k-all about me. You aren't going to call me a weener, are you? :)

Neil
Mike and i go around enough, he understands i wasn't serious. I was only half serious with you Neil.

The serious part relates to the my IE and several other IE's i have seen. They were far from cake-walks and in a couple of them just as many failed as passed.

No, it wasn't boot camp but those of us who took it serious didn't sleep that well either night during the IE for fear of forgetting some part of the plethora of information or skill that could be tested in those two days. I guess we just had different course directors and instructor examiners eh?

I suppose it depends on your definition of "worst trained." The instructor candidates i saw in IE's, that couldn't meet the standards, did not pass, not one.

I was just kidding ya on the remedial stuff....... kinda.:D :)

By the way, nice Darth Vader look you got goin with your profile pic.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom