Point Lobos Sat 10-17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opisthobranch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Dove Point Lobos with Mike Jimenez on Saturday. We got off to a slow start as Mike's drysuit inflator failed open as we descended for the first dive. Bad thing about that is that water comes in when you remove the hose! We swam back in, fixed the inflator and waited a bit for Mike's undergarments to dry before trying again.

Conditions were quite reasonable, especially given all the recent reports of low visibility. The end of the middle reef featured vis in the 25 foot range. Branching was really excellent. I think I counted 18 different species. We also had good luck with fish getting photo ops from mosshead warbonnets, the wolf eels Itchy and Scratchy and a six-spot prickleback. Ended up being a very productive day photographically. Pics from both me and Mike are here:

Point Lobos Middle Reef

Dinner at Turtle Bay with Kathy and Doc who were doing a night dive.

Clinton

Wow, great pictures! I've never seen most of that stuff out here. Then again, my first time at Lobos will be Wednesday, now I know what to look for.

...now I know what to look for.
Good luck! Just because Clinton is able to find all this stuff doesn't mean the rest of us are ever going to see it. The guy has definitely got a 3rd sigma talent for finding nudis. I think it has to do with lots and lots of practice.

Thanks. Beautiful pictures Clinton & Mike. It was great to see you again Clinton & it was very nice to meet Mike.

Wow, great pictures! I've never seen most of that stuff out here. Then again, my first time at Lobos will be Wednesday, now I know what to look for.

Hi Kristina,

Lets go nudi hunting on middle reef when we dive with Don at Lobos next Wednesday. I definitely don't have Clinton's sharp eye, but I love critter hunting & we'll find plenty!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that Don is sick, next week is OK too. I need a fun mid-week day, and I love nudi hunting, it's also great for working on the skills I've been working on. I was able to take another 2 lbs. off yesterday, which makes 4 lbs. in about a month. My trim and bouyancy are getting way better, too.

Sorry to hear that Don is sick, next week is OK too. I need a fun mid-week day, and I love nudi hunting, it's also great for working on the skills I've been working on. I was able to take another 2 lbs. off yesterday, which makes 4 lbs. in about a month. My trim and bouyancy are getting way better, too.

Good for you, but be careful not to go too far. With all the talk on SB about people being overweighted, I kept trimming and trimming. Then I figured out that having to swim down even a little was a bad thing because it meant I was underweighted with a full tank and would be even more underweight at the end of the dive. I eventually added back four pounds. Now I try to remember to check weight at the end of my dive with my tank empty. On my last dive I was within a pound of optimum, I think. (Don may have more to say about that in December. :) )

Awesome photos! As the weekend progressed, the viz got better and better! We had 40-50 feet of viz at Lone Metridium on Sunday and it was about 20' at Middle Reef.

Clinton, thanks for the help in getting my gear up the ramp after our dive on Saturday!

Hi Kristina,

Lets go nudi hunting on middle reef when we dive with Don at Lobos next Wednesday. I definitely don't have Clinton's sharp eye, but I love critter hunting & we'll find plenty!

I'm definitely no help finding nudi's. I don't have Clinton's eye.

However, I'll bring my camera and can take pictures of you guys hunting :)

I'm definitely no help finding nudi's. I don't have Clinton's eye.

However, I'll bring my camera and can take pictures of you guys hunting :)

Don't sell yourself short, Don. I remember you spotting some nudis when we dived Great Pinnacle off of my little boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom