point & shoot for everybody?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I currently have a canon A20 with the housing that I love for hiring out to divers (and I love to take it with me too) - no experience necessary for great shots.

My question is: I want to add another couple of cameras...is there anything else out there, other than the newer models of Canons (and then WHICH model??...is there that much of a noticeable difference between 3.2 & 4?), I should be looking at? Of course, all cameras using the same media (compact flash) would be better.

Also, I am a bit unclear on the A series versus the S series...any advice would be great :)

I wouldn't mind adding one system that could be upgraded with strobes etc, but from everything I have read, the Olympus C5050 is the way to go - yes?

Thanks.

alcina:
is there anything else out there, other than the newer models of Canons

Ummm... I'm not certain what you're asking. There's lots of other manufacturers of digital camera, many of which are of the no-knowledge-required-point-and-shoot type.

Canon, Olympus, Nikon, Fujitsu, Kodak, Samsung (I think), Panasonic... I believe all of these manufacturers have basic entry-level cameras that are probably comperable to the A20.

I'd suggest checking out some of the online review sits (personally, my favorite is www.dpreview.com, as it seems to have reviews of lots of cameras, as well as a fairly good "current news" section.), and you'll probably be able to build up a good list of potential candidates.

(and then WHICH model??...is there that much of a noticeable difference between 3.2 & 4?), I should be looking at?

Depends a lot on who the pictures are for, and how they'll be viewed. Generally, the more photography experience the viewer has, the more they'll be able to spot the differences; and the larger the print made, the more you'll need the higher resolution.

The step from 3.2 to 4 isin't all that large, you might want to see about going all the way up to 5Mpix; especially since christmas is coming, so in about a month, all the post-christmas sales will be on.

Also, I am a bit unclear on the A series versus the S series...any advice would be great :)

The S-series seems to have the same controls and electronics as the G-series, but similar bodies and optics to the A-series. So you get more options (and thus more ways to confuse the inexperienced) for a slightly higher price.

I wouldn't mind adding one system that could be upgraded with strobes etc, but from everything I have read, the Olympus C5050 is the way to go - yes?

Thanks.

There's a lot of Olympus users on the board, no doubt about it. On the other hand, after reading the stats, my personal preference was for the G3 (or a G5 if I could have afforded it).

You can get strobes for most major makes and models, finding an affordable and high-quality housing seems to be the tricky part. And I expect that's one reason the Olympus are so popular; there's a relatively inexpensive, but still good quality, housing available.

Jamie

I like www.digideep.com They list all cameras and then list every known housing for each camera. It is a good place to get info on what a housing is going to cost, or even if there is a housing available for a camera you like.

Thanks for the links...I will certainly check them out.

jrtonkin - didn't mean to be so vague...I was wondering specifically about similar type cameras that people had used underwater already. Did you get the Canon G3? If so, which housing and does it support other lenses and strobes? It looks like it is about $100 more expensive than the A series with 4 - can you tell me why you liked it and if you use the functions that made you buy it? Also, you said the S series had more the optics of the A series...are the A series optics inferior or just for different needs?

The number one thing the people I am shopping for seem to want is good macro/close up capability as this is the number one problem---too close!

Sounds like for my purposes spending the extra for a 4 instead of a 3.2 isn't going to be worth it. Most viewing is done on monitors (mostly sent via email to friends and family) with smallish prints made on people's home printers - I would doubt highly many would ever get printed at larger than 8x10 and the vast majority will be at 4x6.

Again, thanks so much for your time!

In one way things can get confusing and in others it's a benefit.

I owned a Canon S230 from Xmas last year and borrowed a buddy's S40 the summer before that for my trip to Rome.

One camara tought me how to use the other with little or no downtime.

Now I also own a Canon EOS 10D and it was a fairly straightforward switch from the S230.

It was like mixing my Nikon SLR with the 230.

This particular camera quest is for a slightly different usage than most people, probably. Unfortunately I am not shopping for a system for myself - yet!

I just want to be able to take nice pics (which I like my A20 for already) and have something simple for my students and for other divers who want to get good shots with minimal time spending fiddling around with buttons. If I could find something like this that let me attach strobes and/or lenses, so much the better...but the Canon housing & A20 is working a treat for this purpose now, so that may just me trying to kill two birds with one stone!

NOW I am confused! I think I missed something...

Are you saying the S series is smaller than the G series you bought? I thought the G series was more expensive?? And did you buy the G series - if so why and what do you really like about it (maybe I will buy a system for myself after all!)

OR are you saying the S series is smaller than the A series, so stick with the A series as it is pretty similar except for size?

sorry for the blonde moment here :wink: but it's hot hot hot outside and I think my brain is melting.

alcina:
NOW I am confused! I think I missed something...

Are you saying the S series is smaller than the G series you bought? I thought the G series was more expensive?? And did you buy the G series - if so why and what do you really like about it (maybe I will buy a system for myself after all!)

OR are you saying the S series is smaller than the A series, so stick with the A series as it is pretty similar except for size?

sorry for the blonde moment here :wink: but it's hot hot hot outside and I think my brain is melting.

hehe No worries.

I have an S230 and used an S40 and also own an EOS 10D.

The S230 is a wee tiny thing, the EOS 10D is technology overkill.

The A Series is nice and simple. Like the S Series. But bigger and easier to use. Which would make for a larger housing and easier to handle underwater too.

Even in the housing the S230 is a bit of a challange. Especially here with 5 mill gloves in 37F water.

Brrr...

Now it is all clear! I think I am heading for the A60 at this stage...I can't see the benefit in going to the A70 - seems that there really isn't much difference between 2 - 3.2 for what I want it for and no reason to spend the extra dough (I can put it towards more toys for me!!)

37F??? That is pretty much a 12 on my insanity scale of 1 to 10 :) Today we are at 44C and rising - so some cool air would be nice. Water is still only 23C but am diving in just my polartec, so it's OK I guess!

Happiest of Holiday Seasons and thanks so much for the info!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom