Polar Pro Red Filter vs UR/PRO Analysis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have received my polarpros.

I will not get to dive in blue water until I get to dive in blue water which (unless things change) will be around March 27-April 1.

Just by pure observation. My bonica filter is orange. Polar pro's are red.

Polar pros also look tiny by comparison. They hug lens and are snapped on. They come with little bags (dont know why would I need a bag but ok). They also come with a string which I will tie to rest of setup.

I can make a review video and post it on my channel but I was holding off until my trip. I can upload something if you want.

I doubt it's my monitors, but all I see are blacks turned into brown/red , not really any color correction per say - and I'm not talking about the selected "bad" scenes from 5:30 and on, but eg. 1:30, 2:49 scenes. The only scenes that look decent are those that are shallow enough so you won't need a filter.

Could be just my personal preference, I don't recall ever diving in Kool-aid colored water.

This is a still captured at about 20-25ft at Alexander Springs without a filter - a very similar "infinite visibility no thermocline no suspended matter spring water" condition for reference.

552873_4072367609713_1668642922_n.jpg

Are you playing both sources on that video (bonica and gopro)?

good effort yarik83 that confirms the magenta tint makes it do a good job in fresh water too, very nice viz there unlike UK quarries

And you are right as the filter has more pronounced magenta it will react worst if you point into the light, however you should never do that either it is not the intended design of any filter

This video here is one I was reffering to in the video:

[video=youtube;2uZjiwYwVys]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uZjiwYwVys[/video]

I had all 3 cameras rolling as I was swimming about. In the video above most of footage is from gopro. Closeups are from bonica.

As for diving without a filter I was checking out my raw footage and at weeki wachee the second I took my filters off everything turned to cyan and I was in about 10ft of water filming a mermaid do her loopty loop thing only 20 feet away also in 10ft of water. Looking at the picture you posted (which has yellow hue) my sample was very visibly void of colors which actually caught me off guard. I know that at the pool I can take my camera to 12 feet and it shows all colors. Weeki wachee has a natural hue to it so that may be what was happening.

Video above shows no processing... as in its raw gopro footage. If you ask me.. a person who spends 9 hours in front of 3 monitors and who's eyes are bleeding come end of day... my sad tired eyes can not perceive noticeable difference but that is not to say there is not one. I showed footage to my family when they came for my 30th birthday and they were thrilled. Average joe will not know that this brown needs to be 3 shades lighter, that blacks... wait a minute... there were no black colors there. Only thing closest to black was scuba gear which looks black to me. But its all in eye of the beholder.

I am not going to do my victory dance because I know for a fact my bonica filter is better than polar pro but that is not enough reason for me not to use their filters on my camera.

---------- Post added March 6th, 2013 at 05:55 PM ----------

This video too:
[video=youtube;qQUwKelKEhc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQUwKelKEhc[/video]

Please explain the reasoning behind this specifically for magenta?

For the nature of how chromatic aberrations are generated a filter with a selective pass will create more than one that has a more harmonic shape

In any case with any filter you just don't point it to a light source as you get a hue less or more still something you can't eliminate

For the nature of how chromatic aberrations are generated a filter with a selective pass will create more than one that has a more harmonic shape

Sounded super smart and knowledgeable but explained nothing about your affirmation that magenta will "flare" more at a glimpse of the sun than other color filters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom