Polar Pro Red Filter vs UR/PRO Analysis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also when you were saying that polarpro do filters for the normal dive housing I was curious
Actually the marketing people of this company must be a bit thick but the filter goes inside the housing so fits the dive housing
I guess as they also have a polariser that is only in the housing so they called them standard housing filters however the red filter is only worth going in the dive housing
They already used the term dive housing filter and snap on must have run out of words and came out with standard housing poor choice

I said the stock housing (domed lens). Those circulars filters will not work on the dive housing (flat lens) as they won't cover the whole frame or stay put in place, as the glass sits a couple mm away from the camera lens itself.

Here is a picture from their website, I don't believe it is a naming issue, it's a lack-of-knowledge-of-what-they-are-doing issue:
View attachment 144805
Similarly, they sell a "polarizing filter" for the dive housing (flat port). Curious to know how that benefits diving or it's another great business opportunity to sell stuff to people that like colorfull packaging :confused::confused:

View attachment 144804
I don't have those at hand but there are plenty of solutions to make those stick
Reefphoto had one they were giving to their clients included in the housing not sure which flat lens was
I would not be so dismissive that it can't work
I am also sure there are other flat design options to cover the port it seems polarpro is like the gopro cap itself and doesn't vignette probably not the most robust but simple and in keeping with the housing that is also rather on the cheap
So really not sure about having a curved shape at all

Now tell me why is it necessary to have the shape of a dome that as you say is expensive instead of something flat?
Also what is your solution if I can ask?

As for the necessity of a dome, ask SRP. I have no involvement in their decision process. Probably something to do with vignetting.

Prior to the flat lens housing, rather than spending $180 on SRPs Blurfix system, a more than cost effective substitution could be achieved with a properly glued up combination of a 37mm-55mm step up ring, a cokin A filter holder, a 55mm-60mm step up ring, and a 62mm UV filter glass placed in that order over a bubble housing. Adding a urpro filter cut from an ikelite 6441.43 ($27 ebay) to fit the filter holder lead to a system with a removable filter, no vignetting, and no dessicant beads to deal with for around $75. If I can find a photo I will post it but here is a test image through the lens taken back when I still had it:

View attachment 144831

Sorry no good water images because water conditions were crap on that trip. Wrong time of year to be in Destin.
Looks effective only issue may be the step up rings are not designed for water and may rust in time
By that time you will probably have another camera so I would not worry too much
I like DIY projects because you learn well done
Kood also makes some filters a bit cheaper than URPRO at least here of re screw on type
Now the question is if you had not done this would you go and spend $29.99 on a polarpro, get an SRP or perform another DIY that could cost you more than the polarpro?

Last edited:
I said the stock housing (domed lens). Those circulars filters will not work on the dive housing (flat lens) as they won't cover the whole frame or stay put in place, as the glass sits a couple mm away from the camera lens itself.

Here is a picture from their website, I don't believe it is a naming issue, it's a lack-of-knowledge-of-what-they-are-doing issue:
View attachment 144805

Drop in circular filter works fine. Lens port is rectangular, but camera lens is circular. Just cut the filter large enough to cover lens and minimize movement. I think some of the pre-cut drop in filters have a small tab to prevent movement and ease install/removal.

However, it seems I am the only one who likes drop in filters. External removable filters appear to have the GoPro market secured.

Drop in circular filter works fine. Lens port is rectangular, but camera lens is circular. Just cut the filter large enough to cover lens and minimize movement. I think some of the pre-cut drop in filters have a small tab to prevent movement and ease install/removal.

However, it seems I am the only one who likes drop in filters. External removable filters appear to have the GoPro market secured.

I prefer those to but couldn't figure out a way to place them on the Dive Housing, there is a big gap between the lens and the glass. I will try fitting a piece of paper and see how it works.

The filter with the tabs you mentioned is this ( Amazon.com: GoPro HERO3 Dive Filters (2 pack: BG+GW) Red + Magenta, Dive Diving Underwater Color Correction: Camera & Photo ), but it's for the HERO3.

I would not be so dismissive that it can't work

The domed stock housing DOES NOT FOCUS underwater, that's the point here.

Toozler
Few tips for you for when you don't do quality assurance of acrylic plants:

M A G I C - F I L T E R S
drop in filters exist since ages and there are no issue with those either on the lens or on the housing port. In fact in terms of filtering those are the best as there is no water between the lens and the filter, obviously not good when you are outside water and key reason why they are not popular

GoPro ? Polar Pro Filters GoPro Red Filter - GoPro - Polar Pro Filters
as you can see it says into the dive housing and there is an example

Can I ask you do you have a filter and if so which one? If not are you in the market for one or why are you exactly looking at transmission reports of acrylic filters????

I don't particularly care if the people at polarpro or SRP understand or not diving as long as the products are value for money so even if polar pro went out and subcontracted the work to someone that is still fine, on the other hand SRP might be a bunch of enthusiastic divers with original ideas but if their products are expensive and not worth the money they won't sell them!
Nothing person I guess

Interceptor121,

The domed stock housing DOES NOT FOCUS underwater - add a red filter to it and we get out of focus color compensated video. It's just like toilet air fresheners, the bathroom still smells like crap on a bed of roses.

The example video is for another product - the flat port dive housing...

And now that you mentioned, please pay close attention to their video and how PolarPro falsely enhances the effectiveness of their products.
The video shot without the filter was shot with the STOCK HOUSING, hence it's out of focus. The filtered video, however, is sharp.

[video=youtube;8hBM85dXEG4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8hBM85dXEG4[/video]

Is that a fair comparison? No. Is that misleading? Yes. Can you agree with something at least once? I doubt.

As I said their marketing is quite poor but this could be due to a number of reasons
however I don't believe there is one person out there that has an Hero or Hero2 that does not know you need a flat lens and therefore nobody that thinks a filter makes the image sharp or not
Still if the product is good I would consider it if not I would not
Not many people like microsoft but everybody has windows not me I have a mac hahaha

Interceptor121,

Most people will watch that video and hope that's what they are buying
Most people won't research in depth the subject
Most people won't visit this board and read this topic

That is beyond bad marketing practices... That bad design and even worse ethics.

And we are still without agreeing on anything - if I say the sky is blue you will tell me it's grey in the UK.

Looks effective only issue may be the step up rings are not designed for water and may rust in time
Now the question is if you had not done this would you go and spend $29.99 on a polarpro, get an SRP or perform another DIY that could cost you more than the polarpro?

The rings were anodized aluminum so rust is not a possibility but I understand what you are saying about corrosion. I don't have it anymore so I will never know.

As far as polar pro, not a snowball's chance in..... If I'm gonna drop $4k-5K on a vacation, I'm taking a decent filter to photograph it.
As far as SRP, remember they are not a filter maker. They just manufacture a means of attachment. UR/Pro is the filter manufacturer. So to answer the question, it depends. The filter I attach will most likely be a UR/Pro but as to whether I use SRPs bracket will depend on whether they have the 58mm bracket out at a reasonable price for the Hero3 and I haven't already created something myself. (probably be the latter as the next trip is a ways out and I have plenty of time)

Toozler are you running a personal crusade? The polarpro filter works and its priced reasonably am not here to draw conclusion on the destiny of earth some of the videos of those guys are pretty silly but so are others
Most retailer think the same when they decide what to stock and what not
Besides you still haven't answered the question what filter do you have?

The rings were anodized aluminum so rust is not a possibility but I understand what you are saying about corrosion. I don't have it anymore so I will never know.

As far as polar pro, not a snowball's chance in..... If I'm gonna drop $4k-5K on a vacation, I'm taking a decent filter to photograph it.
As far as SRP, remember they are not a filter maker. They just manufacture a means of attachment. UR/Pro is the filter manufacturer. So to answer the question, it depends. The filter I attach will most likely be a UR/Pro but as to whether I use SRPs bracket will depend on whether they have the 58mm bracket out at a reasonable price for the Hero3 and I haven't already created something myself. (probably be the latter as the next trip is a ways out and I have plenty of time)
Right so you wouldn't buy the srp product because it is expensive and not the polarpro because you don't like them it maybe you won't buy any product anyway
Now majority of consumers will not venture in DIY and now we see the market for a filter at 29.99

Last edited:
As I said their marketing is quite poor but this could be due to a number of reasons

Brings to mind that comparison video showing H3B at 1440-48fps versus H2 1080-30fps (frame blending and peculiar modes making the H3B look less sharp). There's a lot out there that doesn't tell the whole story, and the take-away is that people really need to do their homework and really understand what they are paying for. And sadly, it seems you can never take on face value any single comparison.

As to shooting dive housing v. non-dive housing, I think I would have applauded the video makers if instead of doing what they did, they put their filter on the NON-dive housing instead (since everybody knows the filter shouldn't affect that). I have no dog in this fight since I don't shoot with a filter at all, but pulling this kind of stunt leaves a bad taste in my mouth, especially since a dive housing is what, $50 US?

Back
Top Bottom