Pole spearing & scuba? Techniques?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mambo Dave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Heya hunters,

I realize they're more made for freediving, but I'd like to hear from anyone who successfully uses a pole spear whilst scuba diving.

Every now and then I find a nice sized snapper just hanging out where I could use the pole spear (of course, not any time I've actually brought it along), but other times it's tough to get a sizeable fish.

I'm ok with the rarity of seeing one worth shooting, but I'd like to know what you do to more effectively get to a fish you see (as we have to be closer than a spear gunner typically would be).

And, the thought has crossed our minds that just like the fishing boats do, perhaps using some bait fish, cut up as a sort of chum, would work to attract certain species of game fish. Problem being, of course, it could attract a shark.

Keeping the pole spear keeps it sporting for me, but if you all say so, I'll give it up and just get a spear gun eventually.

So what can ya tell me?

Sharkbait Dave

Ah, the quandry every florida spearo has asked themselves... am I goin' big or am I goin' small... every time I've ever gone small I see the "big one" and as he swims away I swear it will never happen again. As much as I love snapper, if it's not big enough to shoot with my big gun, I can live with that. BTW chummin does work for snapps, lots of chum(chunked sardines), but as you probably know they're real spooky and you'll need about a 20' pole spear, later, Noah

I almost always have a pole spear and a gun with me, start with a good metal pole spear.

I find the aluminum ones much more rigid and accurate. I've taken small mangroves and some decent sheepshead with my aluminum pole with a dual winged single swivel tip. Not the best tip for free swimming fish, a paralyzer would work much better, but I typically use my pole for flounder(in which the single tip is ideal).

If you want big fish, get a gun.

Bring what you need for the type of fish you shoot the most on whatever particular site. I don't bring my gun out on my beach dives, as mostly I come across fish easily handled by my polespear. If a larger fish comes along, I may come back later with a gun in hopes that its still around. If I bring a gun on my beach dives, alot of times the effort required with loading and stringing fish shot by the gun will end up limiting the amount of time I spend actually shooting fish in comparison... and some of the smaller fish would probably get obliterated by my larger spear shaft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom