Politically Incorrect

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustAddWater

Reaction score
Did anyone watch Politically Incorrect last night? (3-18) Humberto Fontova ( diver, author, and member of our board) was scheduled to appear. I tried staying up, but didn't make it. (Long day) I'm dissappointed that I missed it.

From what I saw, he was just about the only one with any sense. They all kind of ganged up on him. The part I saw was about eating meat. He talked about how he hunts his meat rather than buy it in a grocery store. He was just about the only one with any facts to back up his point of view. He was well prepared. Florence Henderson was quiet for most of the part I saw( except to pick on him.. I was not impressed with her). Also Tom Green picked on him. He is uneducated and just plain stupid. His point of view was that he couldn't understand hunting or fishing for your own food now that we have McDonalds. He thought it was wrong and inhumane to kill an animal in the woods that's just minding its own business..but he thought it was quite alright to kill cows that are minding their own business in the slaughterhouse because they are raised to be killed. He had no facts to back up his arguements and really no decent arguements...He came off as a moron, which is pretty much what he is. Tom Green is just not the kind of person they should have chosen to contribute to an intellectual or political discussion. Bill Maher agreed with Humberto sometimes, and disagreed with him other times. Bill made some pretty good points and came off pretty well. I had to turn it after awhile. I just couldn't take Tom Green or Florence Henderson. They had no valid input and just kept messing up a good discussion. Humberto came off well. He seemed eduated, intellectual and had statistics to back up his points of view. He got pretty fired up at times, but it seemed to be because everybody kept talking over him. I just can't watch any program where everybody talks over each other because nobody really gets their point across. It just sounds like fighting, and thats when I usually tune out. Anyhows, that was my interpretation of it.

I also watched the show.

The problem with both main arguments durring the show was that both were quoting real and published facts and statistics - that are complete opposite.

The vegitarian was quoting a statistics that Vegitarians live an average 7 to 15 years longer (which is a published number) but it is also published (by the AMA) that vegitarians live 7 to 15 years LESS. This is due to our need for complex protiens and protien acids that are only found in meat. Protiens in suppliments (such as Soy and nuts) are of a slightly different molecular make up and, although are healthy for you, do not replace those found in meat.

It all comes down to whos statistics you want to use to support whichever side of the fence you want to sit on.

As far as the demeanor of the participants Florence Henderson came out in support of Humberto Fontova more often than not. Even so far as to criticise (Sorry don't remember his name) the vegitarian for touting "environmentalism" while wearing plastic shoes. [The production of which soils the enviroment just as much as any hunting or slaughter house farming does]

Tom Greene, although a jerk, also seemed to me to make sense. His point being that now that we have farms - both vegitable and meat "farms" - we should keep our hands off the natural environment / wild life. What he was calling his "mind your own business" paradigm.

The vegitarian was just quiet and contemptuous while Humberto Fontova reminded me of that rock star that is gun happy and has that video series on bow hunting. Sorry forgot HIS name too. :)

I tend to come down on Humberto Fontova view side however if anyone is interested.

SpyderTek

"I'll have a tall glass of meat please" - Ren and Stimpy

That rock star is Ted Nuget. I agree with a LOT of what he has to say.

As far as that show, I refuse to watch it. Bill Maher is a joke. He claims himself to be a Libertarian, when he is merely a liberal in denial. That show is anything but politically incorrect. They get a bunch of uneducated TV and music stars on to discuss topics that are way over ther head. They are far from educated on what they talk about, and make extreme asses out of themselves. Any half educated person could shove their face in the dirt with facts and logic and cause them to wet themselves while they cry and whine. Makes me sick. I have watched it a couple of times and sat their in awe as they spewed their filth. Why do Americans feel the need to get political opinions from people whose only talent is reading lines that were written by someone else?

Good point. Statistics, studies, and the data they comprise can basically be skewed to support just about any point whichever side of the fence it is used to support. Much of it is in the interpretation and presentation of those statistics. I also agree with the comment about celebrities being regarded as if they are more moral, intellectual, or politically in the know just because they are famous. I've never really put much stock into celebrity endorsements, whether it be for a product or a political candidate. I'd rather interpret the facts for myself, than have a Hollywood type do it for me. Many of them are out of touch with regular people. I agree with much of what Ted Nugent says, although it seems to me that in his old age, he has gotten pretty radical and has seemed to go a little off the deep end with his views. While watching the part of the show that I saw, I did think that He and Ted Nugent should meet. I also liked the point Humberto made to the vegetarian that some of the rain forests which are home to many animals and ecosystems are being destroyed to farm soybeans(I believe it was), to make soybean products because of the market the vegetarians have helped to create. Thus, the vegetarians are in a sense killing animals too... That show raises lot of complex issues that can't really be hashed out by the likes of a few Hollywood types. I can't really take it for more than a few minutes.

Originally posted by Big James
...Why do Americans feel the need to get political opinions from people whose only talent is reading lines that were written by someone else?

Probably because that is about what is now expected of an American president.

I get sick of seeing famous or once famous people spew there crap on tv like they are a moral authority just because they are famous. Usually it is left wing wackos who seem to have no concept of accountability, responsibility, fairness for all, ( not just some) who I see on the tube spewing their political correctness nonsense and it really is nonsense to tell people what to think about an issue, and worst ask others to be tolerant and accepting of things they don’t believe in. Gees sounds like the nazi’s doesn’t it? just liberal style. Now before anyone gets on me about sounding like a Republican, keep in mind I am not a Republican or a Democrat, I am a Canadian with an unbiased and un political correctness opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom