Poll: Algorithm Type - strong views/preferences?

Poll: Algorithm Type - strong views/preferences?

• Rec diver - I don’t have a strong view/preference about selecting an algorithm

Votes: 19 20.2%
  • Rec diver – I must have a Gas Content Model based algorithm (Bulhman ZHL, DSAT, Z+, etc)

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Rec diver – I must have a Bubble Model based algorithm (RGBM, VPM-B, folded, etc )

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Rec diver – I must have a both the above

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Tec diver - I don’t have a strong view/preference about selecting an algorithm

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Tec diver – I must have a Gas Content Model based algorithm (Bulhman, DSAT, Z+, etc)

Votes: 37 39.4%
  • Tec diver – I must have a Bubble Model based algorithm (RGBM, VPM-B, folded, etc )

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Tec diver – I must have a both the above

Votes: 4 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jay

Need to dive more!
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Sometimes we see posts about computers that quickly are consumed by a passionate debate about algorithms.

Are those strong views/preferences shared by a large proportion of divers?

Are there differences in those views/preferences between Rec and Tec divers?

I’ve used the two main model categories rather than individual algorithms mainly to keep the survey list from being unwieldy, and to assess a snap-shot of model type popularity.

Needless to say, this tells us nothing about whether an algorithm or model is good/bad etc.

When I bought my first ever dive computer(Uwatec Aladin Pro) in 1996, I have no idea what algorithm it was based on. It was only few years later when I ventured into tec dive then I realized that there was something else available!!
I am still diving with an Uwatec Aladin Pro Nitrox, bought in 1997, and it is THE one that I trusted. And for tec dive I stick with GF.
I am happy with my choices.

GF 80/80 for air or nitrox dives within 40m.

I would have liked to see a Rec/Tec category included in the poll. Up to 15 minutes or so of real deco. (there are a lot of us)

I'm OK with most any 'established' algorithm on a DC that will tolerate light deco. I know what works for me and find it fun to compare to my various DC's.

I would have liked to see a Rec/Tec category included in the poll. Up to 15 minutes or so of real deco. (there are a lot of us)

I'm OK with most any 'established' algorithm on a DC that will tolerate light deco. I know what works for me and find it fun to compare to my various DC's.

I did try to modify it, but the max #of selections on the poll is 10.

For up to 60M using Air to <90 % of best mix.
Past 60M I'd been using VPM-A-0 but may use Buhlman and GF going forward.

Attachments

• edge.jpg
    edge.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 47
I bought my computer for the features and large display. As long as I can adjust it to be conservative (since I'm 71) I'm happy.

I bought my computer for the features and large display. As long as I can adjust it to be conservative (since I'm 71) I'm happy.

Just a note for clarity - "Conservatism" is a pretty bad descriptor for these things, as limited NDLs or longer deco don't actually make the dive "more conservative." There was a fairly recent study done where two dives were done and the algorithm with 44% more deco time was notably worse than the other.

what is the link to this study? Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom