poll -how many divers collect game ?

Do you collect game?

• Never-I'm happy interacting with the fish!

Votes: 23 42.6%
  • Sometimes-but only what I can eat

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • As much as possible

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • I enjoy killing marine life

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't really mean to start reading this thread. I really didn't. I'm not really on anyone's side here, tree hugging hippies vs. rednecks who'd use dynamite if it would score them a decent meal as far as I can see. My opinions (for no apparent reason aside from liking the sound of my own internal voice, since everyone here appears to have moved on from fighting to cooking):

1) "It doesn't feel pain". If a creature has a survival instinct (and its fairly safe to assume that if it's alive it falls into this category), then its fairly safe to assume that its going to have a bad day if you do something to threaten its survival. I don't know invert biology, but I am a geneticist with something of an opinion on the above.

- My opinion? If you're going to kill it, kill it quickly. It IS going to notice on some level if you slowly boil it alive. Serial killers start out by torturing animals for fun, nice people try and avoid it.

2) "Commercial fishing does 1000x more damage than I could ever do".

- My opinion? I agree with this, I really do. In a healthy ecosytem you can happily remove a percentage of a population of animals safely since you are increasing the chances of survival of the rest of them (taking the ones that would have died anyway, essentially). In an unhealthy population - one that has been overfished for instance - you aren't doing this though are you? You are damaging the population, and removing individuals it can't afford to lose. I guess it all depends upon the situation, but don't place the blame entirely on someone else when you find your favourite food is hard to come by all of a sudden - we are all responsible for our own actions.

3) "Life would be better if we were all vegetarians". Tree-hugging hippy argument, which I tend to agree with sometimes. The planet has a lot of people on it, and meat has a higher energy cost to produce that plant life, ergo we could produce more food on the planet if we didn't eat meat, and everyone would have more food to eat. In truth political reasons have more to do with world hunger than this, but if the world population keeps growing then this is going to be relevant at some point.

-My opinion? A lot of americans (that I meet every day, since I live here) don't seem to get the fact that they are fat and selfish and stupid, and self-absorbed, and wantonly ignorant of the world around them, and apparently willing to follow a warlord chimp in a suit with the environmental wherewithall of a burning tyre fire, and wouldn't know hardship if it came and tatooed a picture of a starving child on their eyeballs. But I digress - bring me a cow, cleft it in twain and warm it till it's slightly pink.

4) "I like hunting".
-My opinion? I don't. But I'm not naive enough to think I can change you opinion, and if you dispatch the creature quickly and cleanly and then eat it, then I think we've come to about as much of a compromise as we can. Just don't be one of those morons who's out hunting the last white tiger because it would make a cool looking rug that the neighbours don't have, that's all I ask.

4) "I don't like people who hunt" / "I don't like people who whine about hunting".
-My opinion? Me neither.

Dave

PS If I hated all americans I wouldn't be here, I just think that many of them would be better people if they realised there was a whole world outside of america.

Sorry, I know you dont intend it to be but the post above does come across as a rant against Americans generally, the points you made about Americans could equally apply about any people from any society.

Ruu once bubbled...
-My opinion? A lot of americans (that I meet every day, since I live here) don't seem to get the fact that they are fat and selfish and stupid, and self-absorbed, and wantonly ignorant of the world around them, and apparently willing to follow a warlord chimp in a suit with the environmental wherewithall of a burning tyre fire, and wouldn't know hardship if it came and tatooed a picture of a starving child on their eyeballs. But I digress - bring me a cow, cleft it in twain and warm it till it's slightly pink.

Dave

PS If I hated all americans I wouldn't be here, I just think that many of them would be better people if they realised there was a whole world outside of america.

OK, this little rant pi**es me off, so I think I'll respond in kind, and live down to your expections.

Yes, it sucks living in the most prosperous nation on earth. I notice you dislike it so much, you claim at least partial residence here.

There's a whole world outside America? Yes, there is, and we feed half of it, while the other half is trying to sneak accross our borders.

The statue asks for 'Your poor, your tired, your huddled masses.' It doesn't mention 'Your whiny, insulting, holier-than-though Euro-weenies.'

Cool down, please.

Thanks!

We always need an aim to keep motivated. I understand that diving for diving is boring, but diving for discovering new places, new debts or any others are good motivations.

I guess that those who collect for food are normal people. Those who collect for collecting are also normal and make it their aims. Their happiness is directly related to the number of animals or their size. Now there are also crazy butchers I do not mention here.

For me, when I cannot get an aim for a dive, I just take a fishing bag and load it with all the garbage I can find on the bottom. Thin aim, but aim anyway.

Collecting 'Man-made' Game.

Yep, I do that, as well, night before last I got two lures, a dock gig, and a couple of bottles. (The office chair, fire hose, anchor, and roll of sheeting are still there, I didn't have lift equipment. Next time.)

Karl_in_Calif:
Well then, that settles it, I will stick to my cleaver. Fast, honorable merciful death. Then we eat!

For a quicker death, start the cut on the belly side of the lobster. its nerve cord runs on the bottom side, so it dies quicker. thats for those who are Uber humane ;P

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom