poll -how many divers collect game ?

Do you collect game?

• Never-I'm happy interacting with the fish!

Votes: 23 42.6%
  • Sometimes-but only what I can eat

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • As much as possible

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • I enjoy killing marine life

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Then cooked while still frozen will be very similar to those cooked live. Antenna and leg meat is still recoverable. Generally slow frozen leg meat is very grainy and is neither palatable or recoverable.

It has to do with the ice crystal formation rate and size during the freezing process. Keeping the ice grain size to below half the cell diameter seems to have somethng to do with palatbility once cooked.

A LN2 dipped bug goes from room temp to -200°F in about 5 seconds. Final equilibrium temp of about -321°F is reached when the LN2 stops bubbling. When freezing a couple dozen bugs at the same time that took about 3 minutes after I started pouring the LN2 over the bugs prepositioned in a heavy styrofoam ice chest.

BTW A hard chest will come apart long before equilibrium temperature is reached. :(

ALso be aware that the FAA frowns mightily on bringing chest full of LN2 onto an airplane. It's a long story, but visualize a rapidly expanding COLD 18" ground fog rolling down the check-in concourse at the Ft Lauderdale airport. :rolleyes:

What if you freeze cooked bugs?

FredT once bubbled...
ALso be aware that the FAA frowns mightily on bringing chest full of LN2 onto an airplane. It's a long story, but visualize a rapidly expanding COLD 18" ground fog rolling down the check-in concourse at the Ft Lauderdale airport. :rolleyes:

I've used the soft sided coolers that have a vinyl sheet lining, then lined with newspaper to contain the fog. Carried it on without a second glance from the NTS' finest.

Doing that will "burn" whatever you dip. I did 20 years in aerospace and we dipped just about everything to see what happened. Anything organic was ruined. I have frozen tail and BBQed them later at no difference in taste. If you steam/boil maybe it does. I just never do. BBQ for me.

BTW...after you cook um ya can't freeze um...unless your short on cat food.

...visualize a rapidly expanding COLD 18" ground fog rolling down the check-in concourse...
Geeze, reminds me of the time I stuck a chunk of dry ice in a swab bucket & waited for the poor Jarhead to start running water into it. :tease:

The reason the FAA doesn't like to see cryo stuff in cargo holds is because they suspect baggage handlers may have a problem with the gas displacing breathing medium.

Heck, I know some guys that freeze their spiney tails so it changes the texture; fresh bug meat can sometimes be too "soft" for them.

I'm tempted to be the guy that votes to just enjoy killing marine life. Though that isn't true. I enjoy hunting / fishing / spearing, and only kill what will be eaten. I believe that humans are naturally hunters, and think it is important to responsibly foster this heritage......But since I'm too late for that conversation I'll concur that fresh is better than frozen when it comes to bugs, but like pizza and s*x; even when it's bad...it's really not THAT bad.

Soggy once bubbled...
Does anyone else find it amusing that this troll for animal rights has turned into a recipe book for cooking lobster? :D

That's what happens when you fish, you never know exactly what you will catch....

:D

Does that mean it's time to bring out the favorite ways to "dress up" a flatfish or shark?

Flounder slow baked in lime juice and fresh butter is hard to beat in my book, but there are several ways to stuff them with varius crustacean based, or bivalve based fillings.

Shark properly treated is good baked or fried, but I like it as a base for a good pepper cured jerky, or smoked fish sandwiches.

FT

Blackened Thresher Shark!!!!! I think it rivals swordfish in taste.

Yes, you got to love the irony of reading about seafood recipes in a PETA troll. Good one, No Fish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom