• Yes

Votes: 57 68.7%
  • No

Votes: 24 28.9%
  • Only Tech Diving is a Sport, Rec Diving is Definetly NOT A SPORT

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spectre once bubbled...
... doesn't involve projectiles... it's not a sport! :)

Haven't you ever witnessed projectile vomiting?

Mouth Breather's DEFINITION of "sport":

That there must be some chance of serious injury if you participate. SCUBA, football, soccer, auto racing, flirting with someone else's girl, are all sports.

Any activity that is enhanced with the consumption of alcohol is not a sport, it's a GAME. Darts, billiards, bowling, golf, are all games.

Scuba is not a sport. Racing is not a sport. Snowmobiling is not a sport. Neither is motocross.

You sit on or in a motorized device..yeah, you need talent...but you're not an athlete.

Scuba, in the traditional sense of the term (a physical activity that makes you sweat) is not a sport. Christ, look at some of the people you've seen diving. If you got 'em out on a track they'd die before the first quarter mile was over.

Scuba is a recreation. ALL scuba is a recreation.

Mo2vation once bubbled...
Its a recreation. Bowling, Darts, Pool - all recreation.

If SCUBA is a sport, then NASCAR is a sport...and we all know that's not true. Its an equipment intensive recreation requiring specialized training.

And you get to turn right.

Ken

First of all, I voted on SCUBA being a sport before I read this and was outraged.

Being a NASCAR enthusiast, I am outraged and appalled at that comment. I challenge any one of you who believes otherwise to step into a car and try to drive it half as well as any of those guys (and lady) do. Show me one Driver who is out of shape and doesn't have upper body strength.
:auto:
I don't know who or what really defines sport, but I very much enjoy sports of all sorts (this includes darts). If you go over to England, and try to say darts isn't a sport, I think you might get tossed out of a few pubs. Being a darter, I also consider that a sport.

Anyway, I think its a sport, it is physically demanding, and your performance can be affected by your physical state...thus making it a sport

Anyone care to argue with the NASCAR thing or the dart thing...feel free...I love it.

Ahhhh.......grasshopper.......scuba is not a sport, rather......a way of life.:chinese:

I think SCUBA can be a sport, espically at the high level of tech divers. If you train and practice skills to explore the deep, it fits in with other adventure sports like moutain climbing. SCUBA is not competitive? How come all those cave guys are always talking out extending lines (ever read Beyond Deep?).

BTW, you guys are making me drool with all the sports-car talk, I need to get ride of my jeep!

Using some of the logic here, I could come along and say I have a lazy, fat, slob of a neighbor that occasionally climbs up some rocks while smoking. Then I could go on to say that climbing is not a sport because he can do it and he doesn't break a sweat unless he misses a meal.

Some people pursue activities with a "sport" mindset - serious climbers/divers and some pursue it with an "activity" mindset - my climbing slob and the millions of underwater tourists. I think that makes the difference...how you approach the activity.

If "sport" means competition between players diving isn't a sport. If "sport" means competition to stay alive [skydiving, rockclimbing] than it is. If "sport" is non productive physical recreation [skateboarding, snoboarding, skiing, kayaking,] than it is. "Sport" is stuck in a semantic box..think outside the box.

Mo2vation once bubbled...
Want to talk about running around and athletic ability? Please. You can't even put Soccer in the same league as Hockey or Basketball. Its up there with Curling.

Okay, I know this has been beaten to death and is a rather severe tangent from the original post, but in defence of soccer, I have to say that it involves easily as much (and probably more) athletic prowess than basketball...as much as hockey (and most NHL players have also been soccer players)...and CERTAINLY more than American football. To deny this is utter foolishness. They're simply different sports.

As for SCUBA, I consider it sporting pastime.

As always, your mileage may vary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom