Poll: local shore-dive meet postings belong... ?

Where do local shore-dive invitation postings belong?

• In the Local Trips & Marketplace forum

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • In the main Conch Divers forum

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mambo Dave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently had a discussion with another SB'er regarding the posting of local meets in the Conch diver's forum. The other SB'er believes that local meets belong in the 'Trips & Local Marketplace' forum.

To be truthful, I see the reasoning behind arguing such a post belongs in either.

On one hand a local meet - which is to get a shore dive in or go for a beer or sandwich, depending on conditions - is not a trip that is being organized. It doesn't need planned for, it doesn't normally need saved up for, and it doesn't require sleeping with people you don't know in a roach infested motel.

On the other hand, any dive could be considered a 'trip' to the ocean. The text of the sub-forum states "A place for posting about upcoming trips, classes and other events, whether they are non-commercial or commercial in nature," and local meets are non-commercial ventures that can be considered trips to the water.

I guess this is one of those areas that rely upon the poster's interpretation of the language (which depend on local linguistics, so I guess non-Conch members shouldn't be voting - but there's no way to limit the poll), and interpretation of the having local forums (Conch, Dixie, Mid-West, etc.) on SB.

The reasoning behind me even asking in a poll stems from accidently posting a local meet in the Trips forum and not getting the replies I have for local shore meets in the past. I feel that many don't check that forum as, in their line of thinking, they aren't up for a major trip anytime soon.

I don't want to mis-use the main Conch Diver's forum if its purpose isn't to meet Floridian divers for trips to the bar or the beach, thus I came up with a poll.

Best,

M D

edit: there is a mistake with the poll, the forum's name isn't "Local Trips & Marketplace," it's "Trips & Local Marketplace" - I think I skewed my own poll.

Good question, Dave but one that has already been decided, to be honest. Because of how busy our particular piece of SB heaven is- both our locals & our visitors do a lot of posting in the Conch forum- we post ALL dives in the Conch Divers Trips & Marketplace forum. Why? Because otherwise a proposed dive will get buried quickly amidst all the dive reports, informational posts, & requests for information that get posted in our main forum. So, please continue to post ll proposed dives- even beach dives- in the Trips & Marketplace forum. Thanks!!

Well, if I want to know who's doing what this weekend, I go to the Trips section. It's just been worked out that way for a while now, so it's "reflex" for me. Is there a right or wrong.......dunno. But, yes, those thread's will get buried much faster when in the main section, behind the gazillion people asking about "where to dive in Florida" every other day and such. Shrug.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom