Question Poll: Mandatory Sidemount Certification?

Have you ever been required by a diving centre to have a sidemount certification?

• Yes, it was often mandatory.

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Yes, but very seldom.

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Somehow, without cert a check dive was mandatory.

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Never.

Votes: 46 86.8%
  • All the sidemounters have a proper certification...

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andre171

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just wondering if a plastic card in sidemounting can be mandatory for some dive centers? For me, SM is quite intuitive and a cert would just be a proof of my skills.

Nope. The only times I know it’s mandatory to have the cert is for certain courses, such as sidemount rebreather.

What do you mean? To get a fill for SM tanks? No.

I’ve seen it required on:

a) dive boats for diving in SM.

b) When It’s required for related training (u need SM to do CCR SM or Tec SM configurations, etc.).

AND
c) most instructors I know will not allow you to take advanced classes in SM configuration unless you are certified in SM (Deep Dive, Wreck)- because in the prerequisites are “certified to the depth and conditions trained in” and you were not trained in SM for any depth or condition.

Back mount doubles certification doesn't even exist, but somehow side mount should? I think from a safety stand point, doubles should require it more than side mount.

I have never been asked for a side mount cert and didn't get one issued until it was required to issue my SW cert. I certified through Hypoxic Trimix and Full Cave (using side mount) without a side mount certification.

Just wondering if a plastic card in sidemounting can be mandatory for some dive centers? For me, SM is quite intuitive and a cert would just be a proof of my skills.
Some dive centers may require one (esp. if they offer sidemount classes but also if they have seen untrained sidemounters having problems). Proof of skill is nice to have, but should certification be mandatory? Should everything require a certification?

Why?

For goodness sake, go diving! Sidemount's safer than backmount.

Back mount doubles certification doesn't even exist, but somehow side mount should? I think from a safety stand point, doubles should require it more than side mount.

I have never been asked for a side mount cert and didn't get one issued until it was required to issue my SW cert. I certified through Hypoxic Trimix and Full Cave (using side mount) without a side mount certification.
actually BM doubles class does exist- it’s usually called Intro to Tec - or something similar. Many Tec programs teach IN THAT CONFIGURATION therefore meeting the similar depth, conditions requirement mentioned in standards. So many (not all) boats want to see that cert or some other technical endorsement to dive doubles (or deco gasses). Some don’t care- but from an operator liability perspective- yes it most certainly is an operator’s right to ask to see such a cert.

actually BM doubles class does exist- it’s usually called Intro to Tec - or something similar. Many Tec programs teach IN THAT CONFIGURATION therefore meeting the similar depth, conditions requirement mentioned in standards. So many (not all) boats want to see that cert or some other technical endorsement to dive doubles (or deco gasses). Some don’t care- but from an operator liability perspective- yes it most certainly is an operator’s right to ask to see such a cert.

What if I took intro in sidemount? None of the certifications specify backmount vs sidemount except the sidemount course itself. I have never been in backmount doubles, but no one would hesitate to rent them to me based on the certificaitons.

Edit: I believe all my technical certs should specify backmount or sidemount. I don't think I would be safe at all at 100 meters in backmount doubles.

What if I took intro in sidemount? None of the certifications specify backmount vs sidemount except the sidemount course itself. I have never been in backmount doubles, but no one would hesitate to rent them to me based on the certificaitons.

Edit: I believe all my technical certs should specify backmount or sidemount. I don't think I would be safe at all at 100 meters in backmount doubles.
So there is “Tec Sidemount” which is usually issued in lieu of “Intro To Tec” if you are in a S/M configuration In both PADI and SDI/TDI. NOT SURE if NAUI does it that way too. But generally, an intro to Tec or above rating gets rental of BM doubles. Some places want an SM card to rent SM rigged tanks/gear, some don’t.

The points I am making - 1) if an operator requires a Sidemount cert for something- that’s their right - could be for liability or agency reasons. 2) intro to Tec is usually in a BM doubles config , but Tec Sidemount is -obviously-SM….so ….

But generally, an intro to Tec or above rating gets rental of BM doubles.
I do have a normoxic trimix cert, hence intro to Tec is included.
If I were given BM doubles, I would probably die, as I have never ever used such a dive kit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom