Poll on the Carribean

Which diving destination would you suggest?

• Roatan -- Anthony's Key or Coco

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • Little Caymen Beach Resort

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Turks and Caicos -- resort suggestions?

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • Walker's Key in the Bahamas

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Belize

Votes: 18 15.4%
  • Bonaire

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • Other Bahama site

Votes: 10 8.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know it's not on your list but you already know from diving in Cozumel, that diving in Mexico is a great value with very friendly and helpful people. That is why I'm plannig the next trip I get to choose (its my wifes turn to choose the location) I am planning to go to the Riviera Maya/Playa del Carmen.

Have you considered a liveaboard? My wife and I did both the Turks and Caicos Aggressor and the Cayman Aggressor. I can easily suggest either one. A week of great, easy diving without having to haul equipment around. No real nightlife, but you're usually too tired from all the diving to care.

For relatively new divers, Cayman would be preferable as the walls in T&C tend to start a bit deep. Little Cayman is spectacular.

As far as economy goes, a liveaboard really is no more expensive than a quality resort. The only downside is now I'm a member of the "100' Club", any dive boat without hot towels, onboard E-6 processing, and a private cabin just doesn't cut it anymore.

If you want more privacy but still want the convenience of a resort try staying at the Conch Club Condominiums on Little Cayman. They have a meal/diving deal with the Little Cayman Beach resort 100 yards down the road. Two bedroom condos with full kitchens. Very nice. I highly recommend the Little Cayman Beach Resort food/diving. You will not be disappointed.

I agree that Little Cayman is suberb place to dive. I stayed several several times at Little Cayman Beach Resort but would no longer recommend it. Most recent stay was in October.

On Wednesday, Thursday's and Friday's they blast the sound at uncomrfortable, forced "events" so loudly that guests have trouble hearing the TVs in their rooms with sound up full blast. Forget about sleep--or relaxation of any sort--until the cacaphony ends after 11. I don't know if they're a wanna-be cruise ship or just trying to goose up bar bills but next time I'll try Southern Cross.

It's a shame because Reef Divers is a suberb operation it deserves to be associated with a better dive hotel.

Turks & Caicos: Dive Provo is up there with Reef Divers for quality--maybe a notch higher because they don't babysit a 100 foot maximum depth limit.

Anthony's Key. Heard nothing but good things about it and am headed out there on Thursday on a 7 day trip. I'll let you know how it goes. This time of year it is $1600 room and board, 3 tanks a day, airfare included from DCA.

We just came back from Walker's Cay in the Bahamas for a 5-day trip. Overall, it was good deal with great shark dives.

The place itslef is very small and very relaxed. Food was very good for a dive resort. The rooms were fine but nothing fancy. The only nightlife was at their two bars, which were just fine for us. Nice Beach and no one to bother you at all. Serive was great.

The diving was okay. We had poor vis 50'-60' and there just didn't seem to be much reef life around, other than sharks. There were a few "swimthroughs" which were pretty cool, but other than the sharks...boring compared to the others you have listed. The dive operation (just one on the island) was great.

We wanted a small vacation to simply relax a little, not expensive, do some diving and that was fairly easy to get to. Walker's fit the bill.

However, a major reason I wanted to go was to fly on a Chalk's flying boat. But they do not operate a flying boat to Walker's but a Twin Otter. We I booked the trip, they said that they only fly the flying boats. I was dissappionted at the "Bait and Switch".

DivePartner1: You need to check out the Conch Club Condominiums next door. The resort runs a package with them and they were awesome. Very private, very quiet.

I would not hesitate to go back there. They were awesome accommodations and just a stroll down the beach from all of the amenities of the resort.

You might want to check out Cayman Diving Lodge on East End of Grand Cayman.

www.caymandivinglodge.com gives ...o back to CDL or back to Coz. in Feb. todd

DivingDoc once bubbled...
We are looking to do a week of diving in the Carribean and are trying to stay at a nice place with a good dive op, but at reasonable prices.

We are going to Cozumel in May (our third trip), so would like to try a different place. I like quiet, but also a reasonable level of service. I like good food, but don't care about night life. Since I have bad knees and back, I like it when dive ops load your equipment for you and have you take your BC off and hand it up before climbing up the ladder. I like a good ratio of divemasters to divers (1:6 or so) as, although we are AOW and Nitrox certified, we still only have around 33 dives under our belts.

I am looking for great dving with great vis-- more interested in reef life and critters than wrecks. I need A/C and would like to avoid too many insects (get huge reactions to mosquito bites).

We have recently seen some good airline fares and/or dive deals to various places. I might spring for a trip to Little Caymen Beach Resort, though, as so many people have told me it's great, even though it's expensive.

Shore diving, if it involves trekking over sharp coral with equipment on to get to the site, does not appeal to me. Given all these considerations, answer the poll and let me know the reasons for your "vote."

ET
Sounds like Turneffe Island resort off of Belize would fit the bill almost exactly for you. When we went several years ago it was priced similar to a week on Little Cayman. Pm me for more info if interested

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom