Pompano Beach Fatality Sunday April 16th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To those that know, is it public knowledge what kind of descent Joe's dive was; a 'hot drop' or a 'down the line' descent?

Pardon if it has already been mentioned.

To those that know, is it public knowledge what kind of descent Joe's dive was; a 'hot drop' or a 'down the line' descent?

Pardon if it has already been mentioned.

Hot drop.

MODERATORS - feel free to split off as you see fit.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A copy of this post and answering posts specific to the practice has been created. Do not respond to this post in this A&I thread. Do not go to the new thread to discuss the accident and diver loss from this thread in A&I. Here is the link to the discussion with regard to split dives: The Wisdom? of Split Dives Discussion

I am going to share some information related to the incident that, while it has zero bearing on what precipitated the incident and caused the fatality, I believe it is definitely interrelated, definitely had an impact on response, and will likely be the one tangible teaching/learning moment to come out of this horrible event.

On the day of the incident, the team of divers with Joe Citelli (the deceased) conducted a "hot drop" that was also a "split drop." What is a split drop? This is where the boat has two different groups of divers, in this case, recreational and technical. The boat on that day was headed to the CAPTAIN DAN. But it also dropped a group of divers on the LOWRANCE that included Joe Citelli. The distance between these two wrecks is roughly 0.30 nautical miles or 1,900 feet. That is, the boat dropped a group of divers on the LOWRANCE, and then planned to head over to the CAPTAIN DAN to splash in a group of recreational divers on that wreck. This is not an uncommon practice in South Florida, and sometimes the distance between dive sites can be greater than this example. But, this practice is definitely unwise (read as stupid) IMHO. In conducting a split drop, it is viewed as a manageable risk, but it is obviously an unnecessary risk. I have had discussions with Joe about how stupid this practice was, and he agreed. Which is why it hurts to say that on the day in question, Joe personally requested the split drop from the captain of the dive vessel.

Again, this has nothing to do with what caused the incident. Unfortunately, we may likely never know what caused the incident given the typical findings of the coroner. I hope I am wrong in this instance. But, knowing this was a split drop, the incident happened approximately two minutes into the descent before reaching the wreck, and the team ultimately surfaced with an unconscious diver and no support boat on site definitely impacted the response time in rendering effective aid. This is not a slight on the divers with Joe at all. They observed something was amiss, attended to him, and got him to the surface; they did what they could. But upon surfacing and having no topside support, their efforts to aid and resuscitate Joe were hindered. They had to flag down a fishing boat to relay information to the dive boat on the CAPTAIN DAN with divers in the water, and it took precious time to get them back on site at the LOWRANCE and get Joe onboard the dive boat and attempt to resuscitate with CPR and an AED.

I am not saying that the outcome would have been any different had the dive boat been directly on site. But I am emphatically saying it definitely could have helped -- or -- it definitely wouldn't have hurt. Immediacy of treatment/aid for an injury or incident is typically a critical component to rendering successful treatment/aid. In this case, there was a delay in the ability to render efficient CPR because the dive boat was not directly on site to respond immediately to the incident.

This is a dumb South Florida practice that needs to stop. Folks have long believed that this (split drops) is a manageable and acceptable risk. This incident should serve as evidence that it's not an acceptable risk in technical diving operations. I freely admit I have been on split drops myself. This is the "what if" scenario no one thought would happen. Hopefully this will serve as a wake-up call for local technical divers and dive operators.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I really don't care if you disagree with my verbiage. Having dived with Joe for 20+ years, from a wide variety of cave dives to 400' deep wreck dives 150 nm offshore, I am gutted that he passed away on a wreck less than 2 nm offshore that can be easily visited on a dedicated technical diving trip...a trip where perhaps, just perhaps, the outcome may have been different if a quicker response was possible had the boat been on station. So when it comes to risk assessment in light of all the other adventures we conducted, yes, I stand by my assessment the practice of split drops is stupid.
Have I missed something or has the Dive Op remained namless? I wonder what about a safety record. What agency is tasked with the investigation? Coast Guard.... BSO.... FWC?

Have I missed something or has the Dive Op remained namless? I wonder what about a safety record. What agency is tasked with the investigation? Coast Guard.... BSO.... FWC?

My understanding it was South Florida Diving Headquarters, the boat was "Black Pearl"

If this is incorrect I will delete the post.

My understanding it was South Florida Diving Headquarters, the boat was "Black Pearl"

If this is incorrect I will delete the post.
The vessel was renamed to the Black Pearl after another fatality

We were fishing the area Friday May 5th and heard a radio call to the Coast Guard from the Black Pearl that they had a unresponsive diver and needed instructions, I believe they were met by fire rescue at a marina just inside the inlet. This was near the Rodeo 25 wreck, another dive boat operation was in the area and was waiting for remaining divers from the Black Pearl, we saw a dive boat circling the ball at the wreck for almost an hour and never saw any other divers surface. Anyone know what happened?

We were fishing the area Friday May 5th and heard a radio call to the Coast Guard from the Black Pearl that they had a unresponsive diver and needed instructions, I believe they were met by fire rescue at a marina just inside the inlet. This was near the Rodeo 25 wreck, another dive boat operation was in the area and was waiting for remaining divers from the Black Pearl, we saw a dive boat circling the ball at the wreck for almost an hour and never saw any other divers surface. Anyone know what happened?

@DivingIvan - I was diving from a private boat nearby when this second incident occurred on 05 May, and we were likely the vessel you saw loitering. I've been watching the local news, USCG, and Broward County Sheriff Office sites, but there has been no mention of it since. I'm not sure about any family notifications, etc., but it sounds like the diver involved was local to SE Florida.

We were on the RSB-1 for our first dive, and when we surfaced there were new 2 divers standing on the deck who we didn't recognize. Our captain had picked them up while we were under, and there was a third diver from their group still hanging at the surface on a mooring ball at the nearby Captain Dan. Between these guys and the radio, we pieced together that the Black Pearl (SFDHQ) had to leave them on site due to an unresponsive diver from their group who had been brought aboard and was being given CPR enroute to Hillsboro inlet for transfer to EMS. From conversation with the BSO deputy who took information from the 3 stranded divers later, we heard that the unresponsive diver did not make it.

Current was reasonably strong that day, at maybe 3-4 knots. We hot dropped to RSB-1 with nearly a 400' lead, and it didn't take long to see the wreck once we were near the bottom. The group we picked up described their boat's plan as a mooring ball tie-in by a DM and the incident diver, with the DM surfacing to relay current info to the divers still on deck while the other diver remained below. They said that the DM had restricted the dive to rebreathers only because of the strong current, and that they saw the incident diver ascending away from the line as they descended on the mooring line to begin their dive. By the time they surfaced, the Black Pearl had departed for the inlet and that's what led to the pickups described above.

After a surface interval, our group hot dropped to Captain Dan and retrieved the mooring ball at the end of an uneventful second dive. We then delivered the divers & ball to SFDHQ's dock. Not sure that a ball tie-in was the way to go, given how much current there was. I'm local to the Pompano Beach area, but hesitant to dive with this operator. The recent Safari Diver sinking because of a stern tie-in to a wreck is one example of why.

Lance

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom