Pompano reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nevis Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I noticed on a website that there are several reef dives off of Pompano Beach. I can get $79 RT flights from NC into Ft. Lauderdale and want to spend a few days diving around there on somewhat of a regular basis. What would water temps be like at depth in December & January there?

Well for us the water is colddddd
But for you it may not be so bad :wink: I would say low 70's to upper 60's
I collect information on shore dives in the state of Florida and Lauderdale by the Sea has the most shore dives
Johnson stree, Daytura Ave, Hibiscus Ave, and Dainia Beach just to name a few sites I have dove.
Have fun
Kim P
I also have this information but have not been diving there.

Directions to site: I-95 to the Atlantic Blvd. Exit; go east across the intracostal bridge to Ocean Drive (a.k.a. A1A), then head south to SE 12th st. (look for the signs of the Fairfield Condominimum and the Best Western Beach Comber hotel); go east to the end of the street.

Parking: There are four (4) parking meters at the site (quarters only), $1.00 per hr. It's best to, especially on the weekends, be there between 7:30 to 8:00 a.m. as the meteres will be occupied if not there by then. If the meters are occupied, there are two benches on the other side of the meters; you can set up and get into your wetsuit (highly recommended as there are numerous areas of fire coral), and then go and park your car on the grass lot to the south of the shopping strip at the intersection of SE 12th St. and A1A, which is free. DO NOT PARK AT THE SHOPPING STRIP OR ON THE GUEST PARKING SPOTS OF THE CONDOMINIUMS; YOUR CAR WILL BE TOWED.

The diving: As in LBTS, this is a two tier reef, only that the first tier is much closer to shore, and a bit more varied in its topography. Do as best of a current assesment as you can and plan the dive accordingly. There is usually a gentle (.5 knot) north current there, but it can revert to a south current. The surface swim is about 75' to the buoy. My suggestion is to swim on your back to about 10 - 20' past the buoy; you should see the first part of the reef underneath you. The reef starts out patchy, but as you head east it opens up into a nice, healthy reef, with lots and lots of marine life. The reef is very nice if you start out going south, but it's even nicer if you start out going north. Keep the current in mind though. Bring your camera as this is a macro paradise with lots of juvenile damsels, blennys, neon gobys, wrasses, etc., as well as lots of fan and christmas tree worms and other criters. On occassion, a turtle might just come up and say hi, and I've seen two blue ring octopusses there (very highly poisonous). Max depth, between 20 - 25' depending on whether you make it east of the second tier. The dive is excellent for newly certified divers, as well as those who love a good shore dive. An excellent spot for night diving.

Well, that's pretty cold for here also ! Sounds like a 7 mil day for me anyway !

I noticed on a website that there are several reef dives off of Pompano Beach. I can get $79 RT flights from NC into Ft. Lauderdale and want to spend a few days diving around there on somewhat of a regular basis. What would water temps be like at depth in December & January there?

According to my logs from the previous 14 years, 74-77 degrees. The lowest temp I've ever recorded here in SE FL (the Keys to Palm Beach) is 68 degrees in mid-March.

Keep in mind, the water nearest the shore (shallow water) chills quicker when the fronts move through because there's less water to cool off. The deeper water changes temp much slower.

Let some of the other divers tell us about the water temp in December and January.
I was in Tampa that time last year and once the temp goes below 70 we move to the springs in that area for a couple of months. :wink:
KP

I've seen 70ish on the surface in January. I don't recall anything colder; seems like it would kill the tropicals.

There was that Summer a couple of years back with the cold thermocline. No one wants to relive that!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom