Pony bottle 19 vs 30 cf, and clipped on left side of BP/W ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok that sounds like an interesting plan.

Instead of undoing 2 ???? clips that secure your side mount bottle, you are going to offer a second stage and after they use it, you are going to cut the hose off with a knife ( if they are pulling upward too hard)?

Is it easier and quicker to find and deploy a knife and cut a hose than to unclip a stage tank?

Do you ever practice cutting off second stage hoses or unclipping tanks?

I have never seen anyone dive side mount so please excuse my ignorance on this configuration.

You missed the the "if I have to".

My A$$ isn't getting hauled to the surface by my long hose.

What's the big deal here? Just go up. You miss a safety stop, big whoopdy doo

I would think that side mount bottles would be pretty similar
to a clipped off pony bottle - so it seems to me that it is pretty much on topic, but maybe my unfamiliarity with side mount is leading me astray.

I would think that side mount bottles would be pretty similar
to a clipped off pony bottle - so it seems to me that it is pretty much on topic, but maybe my unfamiliarity with side mount is leading me astray.

I don't dive sidemount, but I do sidemount my bailout tank. That means that the bottom is clipped off to something lower than a BC D-ring (in my case, the stand of my CCR). The top isn't clipped off, but there is a bungee loop coming from the backplate that goes around the first stage and has the SPG, dry suit and regulator hoses threaded through it. So while it's easy to unclip the bottom clip, it's not so straightforward to remove the tank.

Also, the SM tanks are part of the diver's gas supply, and donating them isn't a routine procedure (although donating gas from one of them is). Unlike a pony, which is not meant to be used other than in an emergency, and which is easily unclippable.

I can understand that completely, I’m just trying to digest your plan for ensuring that it doesn’t happen.

I don't dive sidemount, but I do sidemount my bailout tank. That means that the bottom is clipped off to something lower than a BC D-ring (in my case, the stand of my CCR). The top isn't clipped off, but there is a bungee loop coming from the backplate that goes around the first stage and has the SPG, dry suit and regulator hoses threaded through it. So while it's easy to unclip the bottom clip, it's not so straightforward to remove the tank.

Also, the SM tanks are part of the diver's gas supply, and donating them isn't a routine procedure (although donating gas from one of them is). Unlike a pony, which is not meant to be used other than in an emergency, and which is easily unclippable.

Thanks, would it be easier and quicker to cut the top elastic
Leash than a hose? Certainly it would seem to be a
Preferable option from the victims standpoint.

Or are you additionally clipped In to that side mount bottle with inflator hoses etc? Perhaps that is a big difference from a pony bottle?

Why are we cutting anything? I mean, seriously, this discussion has gotten a bit odd. I can't imagine frantically cutting apart my rig in an emergency as plan A.

If you are diving SM, and you need to donate gas, you give the OOA diver one of your regulators and ascend.

If you are diving a backmounted single tank with primary and backup second stages, you give the OOA diver your primary regulator that you are breathing from, you deploy your backup for yourself, and ascend

If you are diving a backmounted single with only one second stage and carrying a pony, you give the OOA diver your primary regulator that you are breathing from and deploy your pony for yourself. You then have the OPTION - once everyone has calmed down and is breathing comfortably - of switching regs so that you are back on your own back gas and the victim has the pony. You can still hang onto him by his tank valve or whatever, and then you ascend.

IF for some reason you feel that switching regulators at that point is complex and dangerous and an unnecessary delay in your trip to the surface, then just ascend with the victim on your backgas and you on the pony. Not my choice, but you should be comfortable with your rescue plan. It will work just as well.

And finally, IF you are rescuing someone who is much bigger than you and panicked and about to either drag you down into the depths or haul you up to the surface like a Polaris missile despite your deco obligation, then you do what you have to do to get free of that maniac. First rule of rescue, right?

Thanks, would it be easier and quicker to cut the top elastic
Leash than a hose? Certainly it would seem to be a
Preferable option from the victims standpoint.

Or are you additionally clipped In to that side mount bottle with inflator hoses etc? Perhaps that is a big difference from a pony bottle?
What is this fascination with cutting stuff? Once you whip out a knife and start slashing at stuff you can easily end up cutting your wing, your harness, your own reg hose, your power inflator, your drysuit, your drysuit inflator, your hand....

Just go up. If you are diving a "pony bottle" which is merely redundant gas then you are doing an NDL dive anyway. Exhale. Go Up, Establish positive buoyancy, ditch weights if the situation remains dubious.

What is this fascination with cutting stuff? Once you whip out a knife and start slashing at stuff you can easily end up cutting your wing, your harness, your own reg hose, your power inflator, your drysuit, your drysuit inflator, your hand....

Just go up. If you are diving a "pony bottle" which is merely redundant gas then you are doing an NDL dive anyway. Exhale. Go Up, Establish positive buoyancy, ditch weights if the situation remains dubious.
Damn that sounds so simple :bounce:

giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom