Pony Bottle Configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

After reading your whole post I found something I could agree with.

But you don't need a pony for that.... you just need to have your stuff together.

Well gee, now I feel bad because I sound like I'm recommending a pony. Just for the record, Uncle Pug is right. Proper buddy technique is all you need, and of course use the right gear for the dive. It either requires doubles, or it doesn't.

In my experience people who use pony bottles just won't be talked out of them, so I figure they might as well rig them properly. I think eventually most of them move to doubles, although I can see how people who travel a lot and keep to that 120ft "gray area" depth might not.

Braunbehrens once bubbled...

>... I think eventually most of them move to doubles, although I can see how people who travel a lot and keep to that 120ft ...<

I dive a lot of configurations depending on what is going on, BP, (DIR), BC (i.e., warm vacation trips), hooka (i.e., insurance recovery hobby) and it was after I became used to doubles and two primaries, that I started wanting a pony, along with other less pleasent assignments that drove home the topic of isolated redundancy.

Now I find a lot of uses for them, like quick anchor checks, etc., prop wraps, and of course when using a single tank and reg. I now keep a mask ( and yes a snorkle) along with a 13 ft pony and rig on all my boats, even those that aren't for diving, particularly the sail.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom