Pony Bottle / Spare Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And your main tank could be accidentally filled with whipped cream...

:shakehead:

Of course all of these are complete and utter nonsense in terms of being any sort of actual, specific "cons" for a pony bottle.

This is exactly like the exploding dog theory we use in aviation. I guess for scuba it's the whipped cream theory. :rofl3:

Some of you seem to have forgotten that the OOA situation I experienced was an excellent example of why a SA _or_ a Pony is an excellent choice:

I ran OOA when my rental SPG read 55 Bar.
[As I wrote, I have never used rental equipment since...]
I was at 20~22m depth.
I was diving in Indonesia, between Bali and Lombok.
I had my OW/AOW/MFA at this point.
I was diving with a newbie OW.
The currents were strong [5 knots] and we were tumbling, rather than drifting, I'd say.
Once we were down, it was impossible to gather together, but I wasted air trying to stay with my buddy, that is for sure.
So it was a heavy workload dive, and the usual "guesstimations"/'calculations' on air use wouldn't work.

The look of fear on the newbie when we first got down and the current starting carrying us off made me perversely chuckle, but I tried to stay close to him.
I imagine I had a similar look later when my OOA situation occurred.
Perhaps he perversely chuckled in return!

Needless to say, this OOA situation involved several co-factors:
faulty rental equipment,
very tough dive conditions,
a new diver as a dive buddy,
a [perhaps?] irresponsible divemaster:dork2: for choosing that location and renting sh*** equipment! [although, to admit, until the OOA situation I was enjoying the tumbling:D...]

The question is, were these conditions SO rare that it is improbable that it will NEVER happen to anyone else [or, for that matter, me, again]?

Will any of you ever have a SPG problem?
Tough dive?
New or inexperienced buddy, not by your side?
Perhaps bad guiding/choice of location?

No?!?!? Lucky you.

I now am a 2Star Instructor, with CMAS, under which my rigorous training has prepared me for as much as I think is reasonably possible; I have been diving in many challenging situations, and I agree with the wisdom expressed herewithin about carrying dive insurance, having a dive plan and diving it with a well-briefed and suitable partner, with whom you've discussed all contingencies...

Nonetheless, as soon as my US$ 180 Spare Air kit arrives, I will fill'er up, strap'er on, and while not changing my dive behaviour for the worse, feel _slightly_ better that while monitoring my air usage and equipment maintenance and buddy diving methods, I will also have another backup should any of those factors come into play again for me, or for the first time for anyone with which I am diving.:cool2:

Finally, I appreciated the explanation of the screw-off pony; I think in Japan, where I live and do 90% of my diving, that due to stringent [excessive?!?] safety requirements, pony valves are sealed except for inspection, and so one cannot remove the valve. Maybe a Zen Divers member can clarify this point...

Cheers

It seems we have a selection of choices:
-A well trained diver would never need SA
-A well trained diver might want SA as an emergency air source

-SA is just dive bling, like bike chrome
-SA is a tool I might need, but will not rely on

-SA is a dangerous crutch that could get one killed
-SA is a useful backup for the unexpected

-SA is a foolish toy aimed at newbies
-SA is a useful tool for divers

What did I miss?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Similar recent threads on Spare Air merged together and off topic posts removed.

bell-r.gif

Last edited:
Party pooper!

It was such a fun challenge to figure them out . . .

Lorenzo,

The only thing missed is on which side you place your allegiance - "our" side or "their" side!!:D
It's all just for fun, in the end, with maybe a little bit of education thrown in...

I'm just glad that there are so many divers, as evidenced by those who were 'against', who maintain their equipment, training and diving practices so that I [or person X] will be able to rely on them in an OOA situation. At least, that is the impression they gave.

Cheers

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Similar recent threads on Spare Air merged together and off topic posts removed.
bell-r.gif
Finally!.... It was about time, there doesn't need to be like 5 Spare Air Threads going around ScubaBoard, it makes sense to combine all Spare Air Threads anyway.. Thanks Cave Diver

Just waiting for someone to ask which Spare Air is best, Spare Air 1.7, or 3.0.... :rofl3: ....

Regarding Spare Air and pony tanks... I wrote a little computer program to calculate the depth from which one could theoretically reach the surface breathing from a pony tank of a given size, assuming that (1) you are not in an overhead environment or on a decompression dive, (2) you ascend at 60 fpm until you reach 60 feet, then ascend at 30 fpm, (3) you plan to make a 3 minute safety stop at 15 feet, and (4) your SAC rate is 0.88 cfm (average). Your mileage may vary.

Here are the results:
1.8 cu. ft. -> does not even give enough for the safety stop! (Need 3.838 cu. ft.)
3 cu. ft. -> does not even give enough for the safety stop! (Need 3.838 cu. ft.)
6 cu. ft. -> 44 fsw
13 cu. ft. -> 154 fsw
19 cu. ft. -> 216 fsw
30 cu. ft. -> 301 fsw

This shows why SpareAir is not adequate. It just isn't enough air to surface safely from any depth where you would need it. Even 6 cu. ft. is pretty much useless, since most people can figure out how to swim to the surface from 44 feet without an air supply. Either 13 or 19 cu. ft. would be a good choice for a practical redundant air supply for recreational diving, if you are not in an overhead environment or a decompression dive. In those situations, you need to consider how much air you might need to get out of the overhead environment (Rule of Thirds, etc.), and how much you would need for stage decompression. The results tabulated above are NOT valid for those situations.

(4) your SAC rate is 0.88 cfm (average). Your mileage may vary.

I'm curious where you got this as an average figure for SAC rate. Seems a bit on the high side to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom