Pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OliveBone:
I just wanted to know why he was thinking of diving with a pony bottle, to make sure he was only going to use it in an extreme unforseen incident, which he went on to explain.

Some divers want to use them on a regular basis to increase their bottom time after their "BIG" tank runs out.

Now to answer the question, I would recommend slinging the pony bottle under one of your arms the way tech divers do. Get the same type of rigging as they do with the dog clips and secure the reg and hose the same way they do. This being that I hope you have a BCD with D-rings on the shoulder and waist. I recommend this way as opposed attaching it to your back tank because now you can reach the valve and turn it on if you need to and is much easier and faster to take it with you.

SO... why did you not answer his question? We're all better off when you stick to the topic at hand, especially when its as hotly debated topic as this one is.

I stand corrected. Just didn't want his question HiJacked into the never-ending scubaboard debate of "to Pony or Not". :42: Ken

Firediver:
btw that link is for stage bottles.. just downsize it for you pony.
Is there a standard regulation size for a pony bottle? I thought any extra, smaller bottle used for redundant breathing gas was called a pony.

wedivebc:
Is there a standard regulation size for a pony bottle? I thought any extra, smaller bottle used for redundant breathing gas was called a pony.

I pretty sure what Firediver mean is that usually deco diver sling 40cf, so if you rig a smaller bottle you have to downsize accordingly.

wedivebc:

Most people use pony bottles that are 15 or 19 cubic feet aluminum bottles.

Where as deco or stage bottles are for the the most part either 45 or 50 cubic ft. and almost always carry a different gas than your back gas, ie, 50 %, or 100 % deco gas.

yakivet:
I stand corrected. Just didn't want his question HiJacked into the never-ending scubaboard debate of "to Pony or Not". :42: Ken

No problem.

OliveBone:
Most people use pony bottles that are 15 or 19 cubic feet aluminum bottles.

Where as deco or stage bottles are for the the most part either 45 or 50 cubic ft. and almost always carry a different gas than your back gas, ie, 50 %, or 100 % deco gas.

You should choose a pony bottle based on your emergency air needs. If you need to switch to your backup breathing system because of a failure of your primary system you need enough air to reach the surface at minimum. Best case scenario is to have enough gas for an ascent to your safety stop then to the surface. This will require an idea of your SAC rate. A 13CF or 19CF bottle would be short supply for an ascent from 130'. From 30' these smaller bottles would be fine.

I used a 30CF pony bottle before I began diving doubles for boat dives deeper than 75'. For shore dives that would typically remain above 50' I would use a 13CF (also for weight considerations when walking over slimy rocks).

When diving a single tank I would hard mount my pony bottle to my primary tank, upside down to allow easy valve access, secured with Highland Mills bands. To do it again going forward I would suggest a sling. I prefer to sling to my right side but use whatever method/side you're most comfortable with.

--Matt

I keep mine on my buddy's back. If I'm going to sling a bottle it's for deco purposes.

OliveBone:
Really? Good to know.

OE2X:
I keep mine on my buddy's back. If I'm going to sling a bottle it's for deco purposes.
Never say never..you might have to stage one day

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom