Pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oscar_2424:
What is the best place to put your pony bottle?
After a lot of experimenting, I now carry my 2.7 litre/20 cu. ft pony bottle on the right hand side secured by two Zeagle pony bands to my main tank, valve up and on, SPG and second stage (set to minimise risk of free-flow) clipped into a hose keeper secured to the D-ring on my waist strap. It's all tidily out the way but immediately to hand if needed and a quick glance down now and again is enough to confirm that I still have the spare air that I started the dive with. The only disadvantage of my set-up is that, despite my best efforts, I cannot reach around to turn it off. That said, I can't turn my primary tank off either.

Graham

grahamsp:
The only disadvantage of my set-up is that, despite my best efforts, I cannot reach around to turn it off. That said, I can't turn my primary tank off either.Graham

Why would you want to?

JeffG:
Never say never..you might have to stage one day
True - but that's some day, down the road a bit, and around the bend... :D

If you are using your pony bottle only for emergencies...that means if you switch to it, the dive is over...therefore you use your independent pressure checker to check the pressure of the pony before the dive...so you don't need an SPG attached to your pony

Paul in VT

Tanked2.0:
Why would you want to?
If you can't turn it off...can you turn it on?

(Also...sometimes you might want to turn something off)

Tanked2.0:
Why would you want to?
Exactly.

PaulChristenson:
If you are using your pony bottle only for emergencies...that means if you switch to it, the dive is over...therefore you use your independent pressure checker to check the pressure of the pony before the dive...so you don't need an SPG attached to your pony
You are right to the extent that if you abort, you abort and go home with whatever gas you've got left. So it's a matter of personal preference, I suppose. I like to be able to read the pressure during my pre-dive checks with the gear configured for the dive, to see it again as I prepare to enter the water (I blip the purge button to make sure the supply is good and the valve is properly open) and thereafter any time I care to check.

But I have been accused of being a risk averse diver!

Graham

You've had an OOA (for whatever reason, why else be on the pony), now postulating a frozen reg on the pony?

This is recreational, open water, I thought, so if switching to the pony it should be a non-obstructed ascent. If the pony reg is reasonably detuned, what's the likelihood of a freeze on it duirng the X breaths needed to make a clean ascent, with safety stop?

(I'm truly curious on this, contemplating a 19CF pony myself.)

Tanked2.0:
You'll find that there are alot of pony haters on this forum, but I personally won't dive with out one. I attach mine to my main tank with the "super pony tamer", and I use an SPG clipped to my BC, along with the reg.

I just purchased a Quick Draw Bracket for my 19 cu' pony--so much nicer (in my opinion) than the pony tamers. A machined aluminum ring goes around the bottle and the bracket goes on the BC strap--which means the system is independent of your tanks (no need for hose clamps on your tanks) so you don't have to worry about using other tanks/rentals, etc. Holds very securely and they make them for the 30's and 40's too.

Here are a couple of links:
Quick Draw Bracket
Instructions on Mounting (more pics)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom