Pony or primary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike.D

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Quick scenario:
Your diving solo and a diver approaches you signaling
OOA. Your equipped with a 7ft primary, bungeed backup and a pony bottle (lets say a slung 40cuft). You still have 100bar, close to your boat at a depth of 25m.

Would you donate your primary, wait till the diver signaled that he was okay then hand off your pony and make your ascent with him?
Or keep him on your primary and ascend together?

Thoughts/advice/suggestions/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
-Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

conditions (vis, obstacles, panic, etc.) will dictate how this is handled.....

So for example if the vis was 10m, little current, no obstacles and the other diver was not panicked?

Im thinking keep him on your primary 7' keep him a bit closer to you hes going to probably be stressed and you would better be able to calm him closer to you.

if he is stressed (which has been ruled out), sure. OP just stated differently.....

I am diving solo, so this diver is a stranger, I have no idea how he will react, so I will keep the pony and try to ascend in a controlled manner with the other diver breathing my primary. At 25m I might even have a deco obligation and what did you say is in the pony bottle? It might be my deco mix to get me out of the water faster in which case I will definitely keep it.

So if he was stressed you would keep him on your primary and ascend with him and risk the other diver going into full blown panic mode and endangering your life? Wouldn't handing off your pony be safer for you at least? Im currently doing my rescue course and there seems to be a very large emphasis on staying safe for the sake of both you and the other diver. Just a thought.

---------- Post added February 8th, 2014 at 12:12 AM ----------

No deco obligation to fulfill, pony is standard compressed air.

I'd stick with muscle memory and donate my 7ft primary.

Signaling OOA is not a request, it is an emergency...sort out the details later if you want to give him your pony.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom