Pony tank on Garuda

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello there Indo-maniacs:

Been flying around domestically on Garuda several times with scuba gear no problem -- but tomorrow I will have a pony tank with me, never done that before -- any hints or tips? We will be on Garuda going from Bali to RA. We're hitting Singapore on the way back...

It will probably push us further over the weight limit. We've been over the 20kg by maybe 5 kg before with no problem, the tank plus reg weighs maybe 7 kg, maybe we'll be able to reduce something else a little.

The plan is to pack regs and tank in checked baggage, the tank will be empty of course with the plastic plug and a piece of tape over it for easy inspection if required.

Thanks,

Bill

Garuda has been offering an additional 23 kg of scuba equipment FREE of charge. If flight from Bali to Sorong is full size plane (like 737) this should apply. Tank should be ok with valve removed as you plan.

Last edited:
Serious thread drift. Bill, what flight did you take on your last trip to Sorong? Charlie

Uh...What?

If they are anything like any other airline, you have to remove the valve on tanks entirely. Meaning you have to send it for hydro when you land. There's a reason noone really flies with tanks and just rent on arrival. The only exception to this is for medical oxygen I think.

Or have I misunderstood what you mean by "emptying the tank"?

I would be seriously surprised if Garuda was an exception to this pretty standard rule.

Charlie we fly only on Garuda if we can. We have two short flights and a long layover in lovely Makassar. Right now we are heading towards the wonderful ibis budget hotel.

Last edited:
Uh...What?

If they are anything like any other airline, you have to remove the valve on tanks entirely. Meaning you have to send it for hydro when you land. There's a reason noone really flies with tanks and just rent on arrival. The only exception to this is for medical oxygen I think.

Or have I misunderstood what you mean by "emptying the tank"?

I would be seriously surprised if Garuda was an exception to this pretty standard rule.
Is that something specific to Indonesia? That's not hot it works in the US. Some ops will want to do a VIP, but not most. Never heard of having to do a hydro due to a valve being removed for air travel.

BTW we had to pay Idr 518K for being 10 kgs overweight. The limit was 23 kg. In the past we had had about the same weight and they didn't make us pay.

I guess I have gotten used to the multiple useless security checks at Indo airports -- although they did look into the pony tank.

- Bill

A bit of thread drift here. About 6-7 years ago, we were leaving Padang with a flight thru Jakarta to Singapore. We purchased 9 rolling bags and plastic boxes at the might market of our sediment samples (cores of sediments) By the time we checked in with 9 extra bags, we paid of $900 USD in overweight fees. Were there any issues with the pony tank?

Hydro or VIP :) I have seen either one required depending on the op. Sorry, should have been clearer.

Of course there may be some ops willing to turn a blind eye to it, but every case I have seen has required an inspection or test. It's why we never bother flying with tanks. Too much hassle. When necessary, we never had issues pre-arranging pony bottles or stage tanks, as long as we gave sufficient notice. Guess it depends on the dive op, but never run into a "no, can't do that," just a "this is how much it will cost, are you sure?".

A bit of thread drift here. About 6-7 years ago, we were leaving Padang with a flight thru Jakarta to Singapore. We purchased 9 rolling bags and plastic boxes at the might market of our sediment samples (cores of sediments) By the time we checked in with 9 extra bags, we paid of $900 USD in overweight fees. Were there any issues with the pony tank?
Sounds like my shipping costs...lol

"What do you have in there, rocks?"....Actually, yes :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom