Question Pool Practice Ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

just sit on the bottom to get away from the world

Before you all burst a hernia laughing, I got stuck in a submarine one day and had to teach myself the back kick

i had access to an in-door pool and several times per wk would go and practice. I felt the biggest help to me was to work on my buoyancy. i made up a game of trying to get from one end of the pool to the other, and no-touching using my fingers or my belly. if I made it to the other end +1, if not then -1. made it fun, but also made the time go by fast. really helped my buoyancy, and made a big difference w. diving in the open water

Stealing from other threads, play with your weight distribution so that you can hold any orientation in the water without moving. Head up, head down, belly up, belly down. Adapt your gear by adding additional weight pockets and small weight increments as needed. Then play v101's game. You should find it easier.

I brought an underwater notebook with me of notes of things to do. The bottom served as a reading and writing desk for the notebook. But treat the bottom as lava for yourself, no touching other than finger tips when picking something up or your palm when writing.

Work on your kicks - do something besides flutter. Try frog.
THIS! It is about time to reduce the flutter kicking dust trail producing bulldozers!

THIS! It is about time to reduce the flutter kicking dust trail producing bulldozers!
Each kick has its place. Frog is great for small movements and efficiency with a proper glide. Flutter is great for moving fast or against current. Modified flutter for those with hips that can't rotate for frog or want to only move a little bit and have fins not conducive to frog kicks... just sayin

If you've got another person to play with in the water, try hovering facing each other, then A hands off a 2-pound weight to B, who holds it for for a few breaths, then hands it back. The goal is for neither A nor B to go down or up in the water column...all with breath control. When you get that nailed, move to 4 pounds.

Each kick has its place. Frog is great for small movements and efficiency with a proper glide. Flutter is great for moving fast or against current. Modified flutter for those with hips that can't rotate for frog or want to only move a little bit and have fins not conducive to frog kicks... just sayin
True! And if I see the dust trails at some dive spots a lesson that should be spread around.

True! And if I see the dust trails at some dive spots a lesson that should be spread around.
It's never fun getting silted out. Stay off the bottom and kick lightly. Up here it means a fin thieving seal is coming to play.

I’ve come across too many recreational divers who have no clue what the frog is and go along forever kicking the bottom up. Frog is good to have in the toolbox.

You are lucky you have a nearby pool to practice in. Get in a hover position. When you do this do your feet drop? If so move your weights towards your head and try again. Does your head drop? Move weights down.

Once you master your hover look for plane tickets to Cozumel to take your checkout dives and start your open water journey if you can. Don't wait till spring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom