Pool time with new doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diva of the Deep

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

I am a doubles newbie and have a couple of opportunities in the next months to work on trim and skills at a pool. We've already braved the fateful "first time" and spent the better part of an hour re-adjusting bands on the pool deck so that I was able to get somewhat neutral and swim a circuit before the time was up.

My question is - do you have any recommendations of skills / adjustments beyond just getting level that I could be directing my efforts towards? I am planning on bouyancy work (as this is needed) and ultimately aiming to complete adv. nitrox/deco course sometime in the next year or so.

Thanks,
Steph

Steph,

I probably missed some, but the following skills should get you started for your adv. nitrox/deco course.

trim and bouyancy
mask removal/replace
finning techniques
don/doff on surface and underwater
air share
valve drills
breath hold swim (I think adv. nitrox is 60 feet)

Mike

Diva of the Deep:
My question is - do you have any recommendations of skills / adjustments beyond just getting level that I could be directing my efforts towards?
You may want to direct your question to this guy:
http://www.gue.com/Training/Instructors/mckayd.html

He lives in Ontario but teaches from Sault Ste Marie to Toronto, and points beyond.

His fundies courses are memorable, I'm told, and taking a fundies course will provide a solid foundation in skills and 'adjustments beyond just getting level' for any additional training you may choose to pursue. PM TSandM for her thoughts regarding a recent course.

Regards,

Doc

I'm being one-on-oned right now through IANTD's Advanced Nitrox. I have about 10 dives now on the double 95's, and for the first time last night, I finally felt just slightly better than a swimming engine block. I have to carry that darned stage everywhere I go, clipping, unclipping, dropping, stowing, valve drill this, valve drill that, mask/no mask, shooting bag, 15 minutes motionless at 10 feet, planning, planning, planning, this mix, that mix, S drills, air share drills... I'm beat. There is something to be said for a group class where the instructor isn't totally focused on every move you make.

Here's a quote from today's email from my personal slave-driver: "Thanks for the friendship, gif file, dive, coffee, and comedy show during the bag deployment!"

Gee, thanks.

Anyway, the best thing I ever did was DIRF - and my instructor totally agrees. No way would I have been as ready as I am for the doubles and stages and skills I'm having beat into me right now. I suppose you could try to do it all together, but that would be way beyond me.

I highly recommend Fundies in a single tank (if you're not already a doubles diver) first. YMMV!

Thanks for the advice!

I am looking into the fundies course for sure. After reading the course description on the GUI site, I think this is what I am after to further my training.

One more question - how strict are they on one piece web harness and bungee-less wings for a fundimentals course?

Well, Rick showed up with a quick release in his harness, and the instructor told him why he didn't like it, and said that Rick would have to decide for himself whether the benefits (easier donning/doffing with a shoulder problem) outweighed the disadvantages (failure point). I suspect, however, that you might get a little more static with a bungied wing.

Too bad for me that I've already bought the kit.
:(

do it easy:
I assume that the breath hold swim is without the gear???

Here is what the IANTD standards specify.

Swim in a simulated out-of-air situation (without breathing, and exhaling slowly) without a mask for a distance of at least 45 feet (15 meters), and commence gas sharing; or appropriate Rebreather gas management drill for out-of air diver. While gas sharing, swim for 3 minutes, then replace and clear mask.

Mike

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom