Pork Chops..help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cobaltbabe:
Bread them and then put a apple glaze over them. It is wonderful. OD did that for me once and it was to die for.

What's an apple glaze? Sounds wonderful!

SueMermaid:
I like to use pinchito spice on pork and grill it. It's delicious!
Either that, or I will mix ~1 cup orange juice, tbs rice vinegar and 2 tb soy sauce (you can play with the proportions) and reduce it by about half on the stove until slightly thickened, and pour over grilled chops. Yum!

Wow I just bought rice vinegar for a cucumber salad I made, so I had all of these ingreadients! Sounds really good, I will try it next time. Thx!

Kind of a winter receipe (because of the oven) but I also like to mix up a regular stuffing mix and "stuff" pork chops with it - actually layer a 9 x 12 baking pan with the chops, cover with stuffing and another layer of chops and you can add cream of mushroom over it and bake at 350 for (not sure how long) at least an hour but it depends on the size of the chops.

Becky

One of the most difficult things about grilling pork chops is they tend to get dried out, especially the thick ones (which should be tender and moist!).

The secret is to brine the chops. I've done this many times for parties and such and occassionally have left them on a bit too long, which turns normal chops to shoe leather - these stay delightfully moist and tender. Don't be afraid to cut into one to test doneness (well, that might affect presentation, but not if you serve that one to the chef), as it can be tricky to cook the larger chops evenly through your first couple of times. The spice rub is good too!
BEER-BRINED GRILLED PORK CHOPS

2 cups water
2 cups dark lager beer (or any you happen to have on-hand)...
1/4 cup coarse salt (I use kosher salt)
3 tablespoons (packed) dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons mild-flavored (light) molasses
1 cup ice cubes
6 1- to 1 1/4-inch-thick center-cut bone-in pork chops (the thicker, the better!)

For the RUB...
7 large garlic cloves, minced
3 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons dried sage leaves (fresh leaves do not work)

Combine 2 cups water, beer, 1/4 cup coarse salt, sugar, and molasses in large bowl. Stir until salt and sugar dissolve. Stir in ice. Place pork chops in large resealable plastic bag. Pour beer brine over pork chops; seal bag. Refrigerate 4 to 8 hours, turning bag occasionally.

Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Remove pork chops from beer brine; pat dry. Mix garlic, pepper, 2 teaspoons salt, and sage in small bowl. Rub garlic mixture over both sides of pork chops. Grill pork chops until instant-read thermometer inserted into center of chops registers 145°F to 150°F, about 10 minutes per side, occasionally moving chops to cooler part of rack if burning. Transfer chops to platter; cover with foil, and let stand 5 minutes (IMPORTANT!). Serve & Enjoy.

I'm much simpler with beer.. or alcohol cooking.

Put the white meat into a baking dish. Pour in enough BEvERage to fill at least half way up the meat. Allow to marinate for a few hours, preferably over night. 1 hour prior to cooking, drain half of the BEvERage out, pick out 2 or 3 of your favorite seasonings (Mine happens to be black pepper and Everglades seasoning) and apply across one side of the meat. Cover it and put back away in the fridge until ready to cook. If you are oven cooking it, place on pan seasoning side up. If you are pan cooking it heat the pan up with a table spoon of olive oil throw in seasoning side down to sear the seasoning in and that side of the meat. While its searing turn the heat down to 50% and cook till your satisfied its done. If BBQ, seasoning side down, sear it in, but cook over a cool fire so it cooks slowly and evenly.

I also use Zesty Italian dressing as a marinade for a few hours with a sprinkle of italian dressing when ready to cook. I'll slice and serve over wheat noodles and fat free alfredo sauce with broccoli as a side.

Other option for nice flavor, and you'll see me use it again and again, is Mojo marinade. Its a wonderful spanish marinade. Cooked over oak in the BBQ grill the combination is absolutely incredible!

Once you've brined, you'll never go back... This works well for chicken or turkey too...

You can apply any type of coating during cooking, such as Colin's Mojo splash...

gj62 beat me with the brining idea. It works well on small pieces or whole pork roasts. The only thing I would suggest is try it a couple of times before you serve to guests. This will give you a feel for how long to brine them without letting them get too salty. Also works great with turkey and chicken.

glbirch:
gj62 beat me with the brining idea. It works well on small pieces or whole pork roasts. The only thing I would suggest is try it a couple of times before you serve to guests. This will give you a feel for how long to brine them without letting them get too salty. Also works great with turkey and chicken.
If you (a) use salt in the ratio above and (b) wipe off the brine (or even lightly freshwater rinse - just like your dive gear :wink: ), you should never have too salty a taste. The brine forms a "toughened" layer on the outside of the meat - really forming a seal that prevents the internal juices from escaping during cooking (or too much salt from being absorbed). I've actually brined chops and whole turkeys overnight with no salty taste.

Natasha:
What's an apple glaze? Sounds wonderful!

It's pretty high fat, but it consists of butter and brown sugar and apples. I think there are other ingrediants but I was kicked out of the kitchen when they were cooking the entire meal. He also makes a green bean and mushroom dish that is to die for. Virgin olive oil and garlic as a base and then green beans and sliced mushroom. Don't cook them too long, just long enough so they have a little crunch left. Yummy.

Brineing is the ticket!!! Adds flavor and moisture-a lot of different combinations can be used!
Another is not to overcook-many people cook pork to death!
I guess it goes back to triconosis which is very rare these days-I suggest to invest in a instant read thermometer and learn to use it. The chops should come off the grill at about
150 degrees or so and the residual heat will take them above the 160 safe zone!
Always remember to let your meat rest for a while before you serve it-it continues to cook and the juices circulate.
One more thing - get some good tongs! I always cringe when I see cooks using a fork to turn and position meat on the grill-dont poke holes in it...all the juices come out making it DRY!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom