Port closed in COZ - what's it mean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fred3798

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We luckily got our second dive in today before the port :no:closed. The weather is bad; the waves are serious. So Cozumelites or Cozumelians or whatever you call yourselves what's the likely prognosis? There is no doubt that we are catching the tail of the storm front in the Eastern US. While no one can predict with certainty, is there a "typical" behavior for this type of weather at this time of the year? How does the Port Authority generally decide when to let us go? Any chance we'll be back out tomorrow morning? What say the knowledgeable or merely optimistic locals?

Last edited:
A Norte typically lasts one or two days, max. The port captain makes the decision around 7:30 am so if it looks iffy, and depending on your boat pick up time, expect your dive op to be in touch with you. According to the wind finder website, although they will remain fairly strong the wind direction may change tomorrow sometime but perhaps not until later in the morning. wind direction is the key factor in whether or not the port will open. Just make sure you have good communication with your op. Nortes CAN be good beach days on the other side of the island but it was too overcast today for even that to be an option.

Hi Fred,

I tried to call your room a little while ago but you weren't there :) Please give me a call when/if you see this - need equipment info for the new arrival :)

I am optimistic for tomorrow morning - winds are forecast to shift from NE currently coming from north) and calm down considerably by mid morning - I will call your room between 7:30 and 8:00 in the morning to let you know the status in the morning :) Have a good evening!

MMM - I watch buoyweather and it is has always been spot on with my experience - it looks like we should be able to get out tomorrow, even if a little late

I found this site before my last trip to Cozumel and it was very accurate too for the whole month we were there. Cozumel, Mexico Marine Forecast You can't get a multi-day forecasts from buoy weather unless you subscribe. This site is a nice alternative.

I've only seen the free view of buoy weather, so not sure how this one compares to the full version of bw.

We are also in Cozumel and also barely managed to get our 2nd dive in today--very choppy and a little hairy getting up the ladder.

Thanks for posting that site, Scubawife; it forecast large waves and small craft advisory for the next few days. I guess we'll know if a few hours!

We are also in Cozumel and also barely managed to get our 2nd dive in today--very choppy and a little hairy getting up the ladder.

Thanks for posting that site, Scubawife; it forecast large waves and small craft advisory for the next few days. I guess we'll know if a few hours!
It also forecasts the winds to come out of the northeast so the island should afford some shelter to the channel. The big waves should be on the north and east shores. Playa del Carmen may get hit harder than the Coz reefs. Hope it's right.

The important thing to watch in this instance is the wind direction, not the wave height as that only applies to the most exposed areas (in this case Playa, Mid Channel and the eastside. Even in the worst Norte I have never seen REAL 10 ft waves hitting the west side of Cozumel. Another factor is that even though the port may be closed, that may apply only to smaller boats and those 40 feet or greater can still operate. Depending on the wind direction (again) the 40 ft boats may find relatively calm places to dive.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I doubt the port will open today (Monday) even later, there are 25-30 knot gusts, and according to this wind forecast :
015.jpg

from Sailing Weather - Marine Weather Forecasts for Sailors and Adventurers - PassageWeather it's not going to veer to the NE until sometime tomorrow, UTC time = -6hrs for Cozumel. Time will tell but unfortunately I don't think there will be diving here today, except maybe for Dave's East side trip...

Right now waiting for the 10:30 a.m. report. At least the sun is (partly) shining. I heard from someone at breakfast that it's supposed to be worse tomorrow and Wednesday--stormy, rainy, with lightning. Time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom