Port closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Be Proactive--I just came up with an idea that might work and could solve many problems in the future. Why not form, a small group of seasoned Dive Shop owners (those with a stake in safety) to offer to be an advisory council to the Port Captain, at least on weather related issues. The group should have no authority, except to give him or her, advice on issues—like port closures, based on many years of Cozumel experience and new scientific tools at our disposal.

Go that Memo?

Dave

PS There is no Harbor Master in Cozumel. It is the Port Captain, or Capitania del Puerto to be proper.

We watched this morning as a few big boats headed south and 20 minutes later were headed back north. It was an excellent opportunity for a long shore dive and trusting wind guru, we waited for the dive op to acknowledge that the port wouldn't open and then two of my favorite people and I parked a truck at the lighthouse and drove up to Tikila. They won't let you put in there if the port is closed but there is a ramp 50 meters north of there. We put in there, headed WSW out to the wall which is quite a swim but we have done it twice this week. We drifted along the wall for 90 minutes and then came in at the bar next to the lighthouse. 141 minute dive for my 200th. Spent about 10 minutes at 30 meters where it is really clean and lush. It was a very lovely dive and it is kind of nice to not hear boats motoring overhead. Really clean reef. I saw a giant barracuda that looked to be greater than the 6 feet that they are supposed to top out at.

We wondered if wind guru would continue to be spot on with their forecast and they were. We sat down to lunch figuring there was time before the rain got here. At 2:30 the dark clouds were on the horizon. At 3pm the white caps were forming and we were asking for the check. At 3:30 the rain started right as we were headed into the apartment along with strong winds as were forecast. Luck is mostly created. We are very lucky.

As far as the harbor master is concerned, she is rolling dice with lots of people's safety. Yesterday got pretty rough on the water but it wasn't dangerous or increasing. Today was going to get bad while boats were on the water. Most of the boats would have been back by the time the front hit and they could have planned to call the boats back at the right time but honestly, when the port is closed and the boats are called back I have experienced several times the decision to head in but not before the second dive. That's fine if you have good judgement and make the right call but some will not make the right call. Sinking dive boats is worse for reputation than closed activities with calm seas when the storm hits 7 hours later. It isn't like it was going to stay nice. Keeping the boats in was the safer decision. It would have sucked for me if I didn't have options.

The port will be closed tomorrow so we will do another shore dive from our secret stormy shore entrance and spend 3-4 hours in the shallows feeling the surge even when we are at 5 meters. Just a few more days left on this trip. I've gotten in 27 dives and 38 hours underwater so far so all in all not a bad trip considering the port was closed for 6 days so far. Two more dive days and probably both of them with a closed port but We will be diving regardless.

Stay calm and stay young.

EDIT TO ADD
shore diving along this stretch isn't to be taken lightly. There are few safe places to enter and exit. The dive I described should not be attempted without local knowledge, experience and navigational skills. We were very cognizant of the approaching front and surfaced once to check that it didn't surprise us. There are long stretches where there is a 10-12 foot rocky wall with about 1 foot of water on top. You can't exit anywhere along those stretches. If you miss blue angel or the light house or two other places you will have serious obstacles. Ok, I've done my due diligence. For most people, diving Cozumel should be done from a boat, with a guide.

Maybe it's just about being overly cautious to protect the inexperienced visitors that come off the ships and get in over their heads.

It's no secret that the cruise industry brings the easy money to the island.

When the water activities are closed, much more money is spent in town.

The hundreds of thousands of dollars lost to the water service providers is gained by the bars, restaurants, car rentals, etc.

The safe image of the island is more important to the big picture than a few days of angry divers.
Maybe, but we go back every year. If we get caught in a closure like this we will not go back. That revenue is lost, maybe forever.

Maybe, but we go back every year. If we get caught in a closure like this we will not go back. That revenue is lost, maybe forever.

Dear BRT,

You just have to pick the right months to go to Cozumel. May June are the best, followed by September and October (that is by my criteria), but never a port Closure from a norte. June July and August have the possibility of a hurricane but that risk is very small (been 15 years sine the last one).

So my input is to avoid January, no matter how ugly it is in Chicago, and enjoy the least expensive and most beautiful place in the Caribbean when you can.

Dave Dillehay

Dear BRT,

You just have to pick the right months to go to Cozumel. May June are the best, followed by September and October (that is by my criteria), but never a port Closure from a norte.
Mostly true but not quite never; I've seen it twice in May in 30+ years. Both were only half day closures.

I dont think the powers that be care much about diving in coz. So much money from the cruise ships they are all they care about. When the port is closed more people in town spending money. They did tear out part of paradise reef to extend the pier. That shows me all they care about is the cruise ships.

Dear BRT,

You just have to pick the right months to go to Cozumel. May June are the best, followed by September and October (that is by my criteria), but never a port Closure from a norte. June July and August have the possibility of a hurricane but that risk is very small (been 15 years sine the last one).

So my input is to avoid January, no matter how ugly it is in Chicago, and enjoy the least expensive and most beautiful place in the Caribbean when you can.

Dave Dillehay
Hi Dave, It would be interesting to go in the spring or summer. A few problems. That is when we make our money to be able to visit your island, Our area is pretty nice those months too, and my wife needs the sunshine therapy when we have none. We actually spend most of our time on the mainland and just come to Coz for a week. If the weather is ugly with big waves, no problem. If the weather is nice and we can't dive for a closed port, problem. Years ago in Xcalak the wind was racing and the waves were high and I asked the dive shop owner if the port was open. He looked at me funny, and we went diving. Quite exciting getting back on the boat. I like Cozumel, but there are other places.

So do you all think the port will be closed tomorrow? Lol

I have no idea but I guess it may open in the afternoon. The bottom line is that if your only window to go diving is January—pick some other place. On the other hand if you luck out and get here after the 10th of January—you are lucky.

Dave Dillehay

I have no idea but I guess it may open in the afternoon. The bottom line is that if your only window to go diving is January—pick some other place. On the other hand if you luck out and get here after the 10th of January—you are lucky this year.

Dave Dillehay

BTW y'all have the same info I get: www.windguru.com and weather.com. Combine that with info from South Texas and you will have as much as me.

On the other hand BRT, if you have the options to stay in PDC and come to Cozumel—Whats the problem?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom