Portable tank rack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hoosier:
Slick design.

How can I download the picture? Could you please post it as an attachment?

Thanks in advance,
Well, you might want to get pescador775's ok, but all you have to do is right click the picture and you can save it to your harddisk.

You could also replace the 3 and 4 ways with a T followed by a 90., or 2 t's short connected. it wouldnt be a Box, it would have rounded ends, but same principle without ordering the parts...

Also, if you are Transporting 6 Tanks you would want to put a 3-2 setup 3 bottles 2 rows high. Unless the current one is strapped down the Whole thing is likely to tip on a decent corner, tanks wont come off the rack, but the whole thing would tip.

The one i made was just a single level using PVC, and accomodates 4 tanks.. I leave it in MY SUV as it helps keep other things from sliding around...like grocerie bags etc

As soon as I put six tanks on it I will let you know for sure, but I know with 4 it does not move even in there by its self. I really do not think that it would be a problem with 6 either. You certainly can build the rack without ordering the parts I just liked using the 3 and 4 ways for more of a box. Normally when I head to the lake to dive the back of my truck is full of stuff so then I really would not have to worry about the thing tipping over. I may have 6 on it this weekend if the weather is OK.

Phil

The one thing we do not tend to think about is the loose gear flying forward in a car accident. My friends wife had a wakeboard pass right by her head, and then through the windshield. I have seen a tool truck, after a bad accident, where a 1/2 ratchet flew out the front window, also narrowly missing the passengers head.

This is preventable by tieing heavy stuff down, and keeping something between the object and the passengers. I use a strap, and my back seat to keep my tanks from flying forward.

If you don't think it can happen to you...remember not everything is in your control. Head on accidents do occur.

Rick Inman:
Well, you might want to get pescador775's ok, but all you have to do is right click the picture and you can save it to your harddisk.

As I recall, the right click doesn't work on the SB pictures anymore... :huh:

Pleaes let me know if I miss something... :confused:

Thanks...

skdvr:
If you start from the bottom up it does not move espically if you have your other gear around it. There is no PVC waggling noise either that thing is solid as a rock. All the joints are glued together and you can use it as a ladder if you want to. My buddy was wondering the same thing this weekend when we were heading to the Dive Site so I put 4 tanks in it and tipped it about 60* and the tanks did not move. You would have to hit a corner pretty darn hard to get it to even start to tip over. When I do put 6 tanks on it I would put a bungee cord over the top ones but even without you would probably be OK.

It probably would not fit into a car. I do drive a SUV that I put it in, although if you only make it for 4 tanks it may fit into some car trunks.

Here is what I used to build it...

(9) 24" Sched 40 PVC pipe
(8) 10" Sched 40 PVC pipe
(12) 6" Sched 40 PVC pipe
(8) 4-way connectors (for bottom and middle corners)
(4) 3-way connectors (for top corners)
(6) T connectors

The cheapest place that I could find the 3-way and 4 way connectors was www.usplastic.com

If you have a vehicle big enough to put one in then I would suggest building one. You will not be disapointed.

Enjoy
Phil

Thanks for your clarification. It helps...... I hope I can check out yours at some dive sites in mid-west, might be Mermet... :wink:

I may head to Mermet this weekend if the weather holds out... I work a lot of weekend and I actually have Sat off so really want to go, but I guess we will see. I do not want to drive 3 hours each way for nothing... Have a good one...

Phil

hoosier:
As I recall, the right click doesn't work on the SB pictures anymore... :huh:

Pleaes let me know if I miss something... :confused:

Thanks...
Works for me. When I right click the pic, I get a little box with a small pict of a floppy disk, a printer, etc. Click the disk and it saves the pic. WinXP.

Hoosier, I gave up trying to post attachments. SB says my files are too large although my camera and computer disagree with that. If the right click does not work use two left clicks and a panel will open up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom