Portage - Legends of Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve_Dives

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'll be there Sunday. I'm doing my advanced OW class Sat- Sun. Saturday we will be diving Whitestar, then Sunday -Portage for Legends weekend. Have you been there before?

I've been to both Portage and Whitestar. Never attended Legends weekend though.

I will be there for the weekend.

Any idea what the water temperature is at this time? They haven’t updated the water temperature web page in over a month.

It says that a month ago it was 72F above the thermocline and 60F below and the thermocline is at 27ft. I hope it is a bit better by now.

I am flying in so I would like to bring minimal wet suit, two piece 3 mm rather than my two piece 7 mm.

Thanks

Stop by and say hi...it should be easy to spot me when diving, I will be wearing a Fenzy…see my avatar.

Any idea what the water temperature is at this time? They haven’t updated the water temperature web page in over a month.

It says that a month ago it was 72F above the thermocline and 60F below and the thermocline is at 27ft. I hope it is a bit better by now.

I haven't been there in a year. At that time, I was recording bottom temperatures of 51F. In the shallows for our safety stops it was very warm with clear water and the sun beating down.

Weather looks great for the weekend.

We were there last week during the week and the water was great, but we were planning on going on Saturday for legends, with some people from our LDS.

We have not been there before for a legends weekend, and kinda wondered how crazy it would be!

We have really enjoyed the past 2 Legend events and this one should be awesome! One really neat thing is that the presenters are so accessible and friendly. I hope everyone will try and make it down! Also, they have some really great prizes!

We dove with 3 mils last Thursday and were very comfortable. We do stay pretty shallow.
If you have not been to Portage Quarry lately, give it a try! The Hansa Jet is fun and easily accessible to begnner divers!
Also, they now have Hot showers and flush toilets available to divers!

Also, they have some really great prizes!

We dove with 3 mils last Thursday and were very comfortable. We do stay pretty shallow.

Yes this year they will also be raffling a gold plated Phoenix Royal Aqua Master double hose regulator.
GOLDFINGER [GOLDFINGER] - $1,000,000.00 : Vintage Double Hose!, Your online source for all things related to vintage diving

It is kind of in similar spirit as the 25 anniversary gold plated Royal Aqua Master that US Divers had in 1968, for the anniversary of Cousteau’s dives in 1943.

This year is the 50 anniversary of Sea Hunt and the 65 anniversary of Cousteau first Scuba (aqualung) dives.

Scuba Diving and Recreation Center in Northwest Ohio - Portage Quarry
International Legends of Diving - Scuba Diving Sponsored by Portage Quarry

Hope to see you all there.

Thanks for the water temp info.

Now I am really torn…3 mm or 7 mm. I talked to a Tom a dive master and he suggested bringing the 7 mm, but I really like my two piece 3 mm. It is much easier when diving with no BC when there is minimal amount of compressible neoprene… I already repack once. :rolleyes:

Hey! Bring both for just in case!

I'm dropping my roommate, Phil, off on Saturday and picking him up on Sunday. (I'm going to Whitestar :)

He's hanging out with Adventure Scuba's classes but, not teaching. Here's his profile if anyone wants to hit him up for a dive or 2. (BTW, he's always down for a 2am dive if you are at all interested!)

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/members/phil+robson.html

Back
Top Bottom