Portugese man of war everywhere(upper keys)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My mother spent a good chunk of time on her honeymoon in hospital after getting tangled up with a Portugese Man-o-War in Bermuda (1966). She felt it without knowing what it was, started thrashing, and it ended up completely wrapped around her abdomen.

She spent about 3 days under sedation. My dad loves to tell the story of her waking up to find him reading a book. She was pretty angry that he had the nerve to be reading a book while she was still in pain. His response?? "You've been asleep for three days. This is my fourth book."

Any discussion of these things always reminds me of that story...

Most people probably know this, but just in case....

A warship called the Man of War was developed my Portugal, then a great naval power, in the late 15th century. One of its jobs was carrying a large load of soldiers (men of war), so it was a men of war ship. The creature at question in this thread was supposed to resemble such a ship because of its sail

A warship called the Man of War was developed my Portugal, then a great naval power, in the late 15th century. One of its jobs was carrying a large load of soldiers (men of war), so it was a men of war ship. The creature at question in this thread was supposed to resemble such a ship because of its sail
Well, there was also a pretty successful horse… Arguably the best ever racing horse and best sire :)

In portuguese the name of this hydrozoan would be "Portuguese Caravel" so a specific type of 15th century ship used on the discoveries vs the generic man o' war.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom