Poseidon octo regs performance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jplacson

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok, Poseidon brags that their octos are rated with the same performance as the main 2nd stage. (Although most manufacturers claim this as well)

I was just wondering... why can't I just get a Poseidon octo to use as my main 2nd stage then?

And on that note... what is the main difference between a 2nd stage, and it's octo counterpart? (Mares Abyss vs. Mares Abyss Octo)

Why are octos so much cheaper... even though they are supposed to be emergency equipment? If they are so reliable, why can't they be used as the main 2nd stage?

Are they built differently? Materials? Tuning?

Conversely, is it advisable to use a main 2nd stage as an octo? Say, an old reg rather than getting a new octo?

What are the pros and cons of either scenario? Thanks!!! :)

I have a Poseidon Cyclon 5000 with metal body 2nd stages, both the primary and the octo. Generally if you purchase this specific model, as seems to be the trend with most regs form Poseidon, the primary first stage has a metal body, and the secondary a plastic one. The latter not being quite as robust as the first. That is the most likely reason for the significant price difference.

In terms of design and performance, the two are identical, but tuned differently as to assure no free flowing of the octo. So you could definitely purchase an "octo" and use it as a primary, but with a word of caution, if you have no experience in tuning of your specific model of regulator, rather spend the extra cash and get it tuned by a qualified agent.

jplacson once bubbled...
Ok, Poseidon brags that their octos are rated with the same performance as the main 2nd stage. (Although most manufacturers claim this as well)

I was just wondering... why can't I just get a Poseidon octo to use as my main 2nd stage then?

And on that note... what is the main difference between a 2nd stage, and it's octo counterpart? (Mares Abyss vs. Mares Abyss Octo)

Why are octos so much cheaper... even though they are supposed to be emergency equipment? If they are so reliable, why can't they be used as the main 2nd stage?

Are they built differently? Materials? Tuning?

Conversely, is it advisable to use a main 2nd stage as an octo? Say, an old reg rather than getting a new octo?

What are the pros and cons of either scenario? Thanks!!! :)

Octos are cheaper because they don't come with a first stage.

I figured that too... but even getting used primary regs w/o 1st stage systems... costs more than a brand new octo. I was just wondering if there was any difference...

And if so, is it advisable to use a primary reg as an octo? Or do I have to detune it?

jplacson once bubbled...
I figured that too... but even getting used primary regs w/o 1st stage systems... costs more than a brand new octo. I was just wondering if there was any difference...

And if so, is it advisable to use a primary reg as an octo? Or do I have to detune it?

Uh.... I don't know about that. I suspect that you're wrong.. but the only reason those would cost more is that second stages are not typically sold by themselves. Many manufacturers also make a dedicated "octo" reg that doesn't really correspond to any of their normal second stages.

If you go to DiveInn, you'll see that an ATX50 setup is $285. You'll also see that the second stage sells seperately for $138 and the first stage sells for $185. The ATX40 octo second stage is $144.

Many octo second stages are very low performance, like the Oceanic Slimline Octo. You would not want to use that as your primary reg. However, some octos are the manufacturer's high performance second stages in a yellow housing, like the Apeks ATX40 octo. These will be fine for use as a primary reg, but there's a chance they may be detuned... you'd probably want to take it to a tech and say you want it tuned for use as a primary.

All this being said, the most inexpensive way to get a new reg is to go to LP or Scubastore and buy a primary reg setup and a separate octo or backup reg. Scubastore even sells full package setups that include first stage and a pair of second stages.

Ok! Thanks to everyone who replied :) I've just been really curious about the whole reg-octo thing for quite a while. Specially after reading Poseidon's claims. Just wanted to know. :) Thanks!

forget the octo mentality...go with a dual outlet valve.(two indepndant regs.)
never had a reg fail, however if it does it will probably need to be shut off at the air source.

think like a cave diver...even if u r not one.

All posieden regs are made to the same standard, that a black or metal body is the same as the yellow or nonmetal body.

I personally know some local tech divers that use posiedons and there long hose has the yellow bodied odins, and the normal one is the short hose.

posiedon is the execption to the rule on manufactures that make hte octos with less performance

u r correct the octo's from posiedon are built to the same specs as any of the other second stages.

Scubatooth once bubbled...
All posieden regs are made to the same standard, that a black or metal body is the same as the yellow or nonmetal body.

I personally know some local tech divers that use posiedons and there long hose has the yellow bodied odins, and the normal one is the short hose.

posiedon is the execption to the rule on manufactures that make hte octos with less performance

You're correct. I would be one of those divers. I dive a long hose on singles & dbls. I have the black "primary" as the safe 2nd on a necklace under my chin & the yellow "octo" as my primary on a 7' hose. I have seen NO difference in the two. They are tuned the same. The only time I have to be careful of free flow on the neclaced reg, is when I 1st jump in & it's very rare if it does free flow on the surface. I dive Jetstreams, so I can't say on the 5000s.

Back
Top Bottom