Possible dive log application for iPhone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Three years behind seems to be seriously kicking everyone's behind.

Who's behind is it kicking? Apple accounts for something like 15 percent of the smartphone market. Not too shabby, but hardly resounding.

Apple was so excited to announce sales figures of 1,000,000 second gen iPhones in the first weekend. Naturally they neglected to mention that the top phone cellphone builder (Nokia) sells on average nearly 1,000,000 phones each and every day.

I have one of the new iPhones simply because it offers in my opinion the best mobile web browser. Too bad the data network I have it on (AT&T) is eons behind Sprint and Verizon, let alone some of the European and Asian networks.

Look forward to it!
Jack

It's a pretty cool idea. I suppose the only thing I would think not so good about it would be the fact that I usually don't take my iPhone anywhere near the boat or dive site, but then I rarely log dives on site anyway. Based on the screen shots I would say the interface could use a little improvement, but it looks pretty good so far. I'd certainly be happy to do some beta testing.

Another cool feature would be displaying the graph of the dive (if your computer does this as mine does). Just a thought.

Hi,

I'm currently (already a few years) using Aqua DiveLog on my Palm PDA.
As I'm switching towards the iPhone I'm interested in a native iPhone replacement as well.

As a Mac OS-X user I second the suggestion to hook up with an existing Mac OS-X DiveLog application to enable syncing and paper-logbook-printing (for those rare times I need to handover my logboek).

Although I know it's complicated, I really like a way (either directly or through interfacing with other applications, optionally at desktop level) to read the DiveComputer's data and especially the dive profile. Being an instructor I've found it very usefull to show the profile to trainees in case of discussions about their achievements.

I was just talking to someone yesterday about making a Dive Log program for the iPhone.

I am just going to reiterate what others have said about Geo-tagging photos, using the GPS to record your location. It would be awesome if it could communicate with dive software, but that is probably not feasible.

If you did decide to do a Dive Calculator program. It would be cool if it would use your GPS location and google maps to figure out the altitude and make the proper adjustments, you could a sell more advanced version that offered nitrox/altitude calculations.

What else would be cool is to be able to access and read reviews of others who have dived in the same place/location.

I do have a dive computer, but would love to be able to pre-plan without needing the tables or having to buy the dive plan calculators. I'd pay $10+ for a good dive calculator program for the iPhone.

It works off of satellites so being out of cell range shouldn't be a problem.

I'm not sure this is correct. To my knowledge the iphone uses google maps. The version of google maps on my phone won't work unless you also have a network connection.

I would like to see hard to remember details. So - recording starting pressure on the dock, or recording surface temperature, recording and geotagging photos of the boat, people, dive site, etc.

Would also be cool to include a feature that would allow you to keep track of service dates on equipment. I don't carry any of that stuff with me to trips, but always my phone.

A list of equipment serial numbers, etc, would be cool also.

May also consider a rudimentary SAC calculator.

I like these ideas. I was going to add the idea of the SAC calculator. It would be nice to simply enter in the information and have it figured out at the end of the dive for you. All in all, I like the idea and think the format you have looks great so far. My wife and I would both be interested in getting it.

Shane

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom