Possible dive log application for iPhone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here are some news: the dives were stored in a SQLite database on the iPhone and can be synchronized with the desktop logbook software.

Is the required desktop software working on a Mac or is it still exclusively on PC?

I already contacted Nick from MacDive asking if he wants to join this project and include a sync function because I know a lot of iPhone users have Macs. He said he will consider it. I will also ask Mark from Mac DiveLog if he is interested.

So all I can say is that I recommend you ask the developers of dive software for the Mac if they want to add a synchronization. Technically it is no problem. My tool will unfortunately run only on Windows.

Edit to add: It is also possible to add new dives directly on the iPhone, so it will also work without desktop synchronization. But of course entering a lot of text is easier on the desktop and the dive profile will also be missing.

I just have one thing to mention ... please include a metric option!!

My main thought - I'd like to be able to enter information online or in a separate applet, and have it sync to the iphone for easy reference. I'm not really big on the idea of writing out my dive notes on the phone itself - that's a bit too much of a pain, and exporting the log and viewing it off of the phone becomes an exercise in afterthought.

Edit: I obviously came into this conversation way late. Looks like it's much further along than from page 1 :)

I just have one thing to mention ... please include a metric option!!

Of course, metric and imperial settings are available.

My main thought - I'd like to be able to enter information online or in a separate applet, and have it sync to the iphone for easy reference. I'm not really big on the idea of writing out my dive notes on the phone itself - that's a bit too much of a pain, and exporting the log and viewing it off of the phone becomes an exercise in afterthought.

Yes, you're able to download the dive data from your dive computer with Diving Log, enter additional information like notes and sync everything to the iPhone application.

Please let me know if I have this right -- I can get an app from I-tunes (name?) that will sync my Touch with my desktop diving log -- but will it sync any log or just with Diving Log 4.x?

I'm a REAL nubie at apps on the Touch so, please, just set it out very clearly for me.

At the moment I'm using Suunto's Dive Manager 1.4 (?).

Hi Peter

The iPhone / iPod Touch dive log application is currently in development and not yet available in the App Store (I'm using a beta version via ad hoc distribution). I think the name will be simply "Dive Log" but I'll post direct links as soon as it is available.

It will sync at the moment only with my Diving Log 4.0 application, not with other programs like Suunto Dive Manager. So you can either import your existing dives from Suunto Dive Manager into Diving Log 4.0 and then sync to the iPhone or you can also direct download from your Suunto computer into Diving Log and then sync to the iPhone (same procedure for every other dive computer).

Sven

Hello everybody

I'm pleased to announce that the iPhone Dive Log is currently in the final beta test and will be released to the App Store in a few days for approval. It should then be available beginning of January. The Diving Log 4.0 desktop version with the iPhone synchronization included was released already a few days ago. You can find more information and screenshots here at these 2 links:

Diving Log 4.0 - iPhone Dive Log Synchronization
More Mobile Software - Dive Log

I feel a little like a grinch because this has nothing to do with this iPhone divelog app that member divinglog has clearly put a lot of work into.

However, if you're willing to give up the feature of actually doing the logging on the iPhone, there's a very powerful and popular app called Air Sharing Avatron Software Products that allows you to transfer files of many types from your PC (Mac, Windows, or linux) to your iPhone or Touch, and view them with all the expected iPhone zoom, scroll, and pan features. The types include, in particular, pdfs.

I use Divelog (mac) to upload and crunch/graph my Suunto Cobra. I then print from Divelog to pdf, and put the pdfs on my iPod touch. Profile graphs, and all the data. Fully available for viewing, although not creating or editing, wherever I'm traveling.

I also am in the habit of scanning my paper logbook to pdf for backup. I then also put those pdfs on my Touch, so they are also always available for viewing. [Note the iPhone/Touch core software pdf viewer, which Air Sharing uses for this, has problems with large files with large bitmapped images. It crashes. It will get better. It's ok with files of a dozen or so scanned dives - six pairs of standard PADI log pages at 300x300 dpi. So just break your logbook scans into files of groups of dives.]

Needless to say Air Sharing is good for a bunch of things besides Dive Logs. I'm just a user, no interest in the company other than that. But I will say it's the only App I use that wasn't free. And on sale right now, $4.99 vs. $7.99, although when talking to divers, saving $3 on something seems a little amusing.

Pros:
- Use whatever PC/Mac etc. dive log program you're already using.
- Presumably that allows data upload from your PDC.
- Also allows you to bring along scans of your paper logbook.
- Has a bunch of other uses.

Cons:
- Read-only on the iPhone/Touch itself.
- Just storage and viewing for pdf and other files created on your PC.
- If you have no PC dive log program, you'll still need one.

I'm sure some people are specifically looking for the added features of this new iPhone divelog app. Air Sharing won't do those. But I'm happy with my current solution, and thought others might be as well.

Back
Top Bottom