Possible new diving reality TV program.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sweet lord... $2500 fee to find a $25,000 ring. Hey I want a job like that. Even once a year... would have paid for all of my dive trips.

Here's the truth about underwater salvage:

A general rule of thumb to bid for a salvage job is either 10% of the replacement value of the item or $110/ft for boats. For example, if an $80k boat is three years old and now can be had on the used market for $50k and it sinks, a good rule of thumb is that for $5000, we will refloat it and haul it out. If it's a 42-footer and several years old and worth $20k, we would charge between $4500 and $5k to refloat and haul out. If the item is a car worth $16k, the price should be about $1600 to retrieve it and have it out of the water and on a wrecker... Plus or minus for difficulty of job (might be more if we have to also boom a fuel slick and it's 45* and raining). When the retrieval process is dramatically simpler (like with an expensive ring or watch), the price would be much lower. For example, I once got an emergency call to retrieve a set of car keys in 18 feet of water. The job was an "emergency" job (had to happen NOW), and I got pulled off of another job to do it. The bottom was full of old dock parts and in zero visibility, so finding them took almost two hours. I charged $175 for the job. I should have charged more because of the circumstances (emergency, pulling me off of another job, bottom topography), but if I had, the guy probably would have simply replaced everything himself and opted not to have them retrieved... That is, I would have lost the job.

...So in professional search and recovery, a flat 10% of value is a dramatic oversimplification of reality, but that's too complicated to explain to the average viewer. Each job must be bid with the knowlege of expected time spent, proper negotiations, and a knowlege of how to price such that the client can afford it and even think, "Wow, that's a lot of money," but still choose to have the item found. If the client does not balk, you've underbid. If the client says no, you've overbid... But you still have to cover all of your expenses and find a profit margin within those confines. It's always best to bid very high first, 'cause you can always find excuses to come down... It doesn't happen the other way.

In reality, bidding a job like this would take an awareness of worth, what the client would be willing and able to pay, expected time and other expenses, etc... All of which come from experience. I have both underbid and overbid jobs many times in the past, so making the mistakes is the only way to really figure out what things are worth. The difficult part of this business - as with any labor-only business - is learning quickly enough that you don't go out of business before you figure it out. :)

On the other hand, consider expenses for gear, experience, training, insurance, payroll, boat, fuel, compressor, etc... If we aren't making at least a few hundred bucks on every job, then we don't even break even.

If the item is not found and retrieved, by the way, there is no charge. The client only pays if they get their item back. That serves as motivation for the client that he has no obligation until they have their coveted item back in their hands. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
..... For example, I once got an emergency call to retrieve a set of car keys in 18 feet of water. The job was an "emergency" job (had to happen NOW), and I got pulled off of another job to do it. ...

I had one of those call outs once. Guy says, "I dropped the keys off the dock right here. I marked it with a mushroom anchor." I went down the drop line and did a circular pattern search for 20 min. I came back up and told the guy he must be mistaken, the keys must have been dropped else ware. He asked if I looked under the anchor.......D'oh!

Good luck with your show, I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Thanks! Good to see that other birds of a feather aren't laughing too hard at it. :)

Not at all. (Well maybe a little.)

I see, now that you'll be a TV Star, they let you back on here. :)

.. A Discovery Science Channel episode called "America's Lost H-Bomb." The producer, with whom I later bacame good friends, called me and asked to trail us during one of the searches that we do about twice a year for the elusive Mk15 1.5 megaton nuclear bomb lost off of the coast of Savannah, GA. We put a nice show together for them, put two boats in the water, and all of the team members showed up - to include the pilot that actually dropped the thing in 1958 and the Navy Commander that was tasked with finding it two weeks later, without success. The show was a brief hit and we enjoyed a little "15 minutes of fame," but there was no monetary compensation for the show. In fact, our expenses for that day's shoot was barely covered.
I watched that, one of my more recent favorites on the Discovery channels

Add a "Jersey Shore" interpersonal drama to it, and... Well, we hope that we have a hit.

:)
meh, A little less on the Drama than that I hope, and watch the preview editing of clips. Those "bumpers" that air showing some huge heated battle or life and death, and it turns out to be super lame. Billy is very bad for that

Looking forward to seeing your show in HD glory

SeeJay, will you sign my lift bag? :D

Good luck with the show. It's also nice to hear of you again. I've enjoyed the postings you've made over the years and now it's nice to see you doing something a little out of the ordinary.

Good luck!!

Randy

Not at all. (Well maybe a little.)

I see, now that you'll be a TV Star, they let you back on here. :)

Lol! Yeah, albeit with a name change. :) I suppose that it's good for the company, but the truth is, I think that NetDoc had banned the account "SeaJay" so many ways that it was difficult for him to reinstate it. I dunno... That's just a theory. I do wish I had my old name back, though, since it shows how long I've been around. Whatever, though... No biggie either way. Got better things to worry about. :)

In all fairness to NetDoc, he let me back on here a year or two ago, before there was any mention of the new show. I've been busy with the company... Diving and trying to fly a company in the middle of a recession - and have been too occupied to be able to cause too much drama around here. :)

...Which is good. :) Hate to admit it, but I've done a lot of growing up, too. :) AND done a ton of diving, so my experience levels have risen. I think it's made me much more forgiving and understanding of other people's perspective. Happens over the course of ten years since I first signed up here, I guess. :) Well, that and the fact that we've all learned how to "be" on online boards. Ten years ago they were still a new concept (having been borne of newsgroups and mailing lists) and we were all still learning that message intent and message read could be two different things. :)

...So I guess that, by default, there's gonna be less drama today - and less hurt feelings and obsessive arguments. There's also a lot of troublemakers gone today. :)

Dr Dog:
I watched that, one of my more recent favorites on the Discovery channels

Well heck, that's flattering. :) Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it... It was a blast to make, and Mark Marabella (the producer) and I became good friends through the show.

It's been maybe seven years since we shot "America's Lost H-Bomb." The first time I saw it aired, I was heavily in chemotherapy and not totally sure that I was going to survive my bout with cancer. I remember feeling so weak and telling the nurses that were delivering my chemicals, "That's me." They smiled and said, "Yea, we know you're a diver..." I said, "No... That's literally me. Watch." Soon thereafter the name came up and they were shocked. So was I... Having lost 70 lbs in six weeks, I looked nothing like the big, burly guy (fat?) in the show. :) Thank God that experience is over. :) To me, the show served as motivation to get better and live so I could dive some more.

We have not yet found the bomb... Although we continue to look with advancing technologies. It will happen someday - we just need to hope that WE find it first and that an enemy of the U.S. doesn't.

:)meh, A little less on the Drama than that I hope, and watch the preview editing of clips. Those "bumpers" that air showing some huge heated battle or life and death, and it turns out to be super lame. Billy is very bad for that

Lol... Yes, I totally agree. The producers - which make the real decisions as to what the show's content will be - really are the ones that have the say in that. In fact, other than my face and company and people, this is totally their "baby." I have much less input than a viewer might think. However, rest assured that these guys are great, and I don't see "lame" as being in their vocabulary. I can't imagine that they'd make anything but a fantastic show that people really, really, really wanna watch. :)

Looking forward to seeing your show in HD glory

Me too! :)

Last edited:
Looks like a fun show.....I'd watch it.

SeeJay, will you sign my lift bag? :D

LOL! Ah, jeez...

I got the chance to meet and hang out with Jarrod Jablonski the other day, and I said exactly the same thing to him. :)

Good luck with the show. It's also nice to hear of you again. I've enjoyed the postings you've made over the years and now it's nice to see you doing something a little out of the ordinary.

Good luck!!

Randy

Thank you, my friend! We're really hoping that this takes off!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom