Possible Shark Death - Dominican Republic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sailingk8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Dominican diver killed in rare shark attack - DominicanToday.com

Dominican diver killed in rare shark attack
Nov 15 at 7:52 PM

Boca Chica, Dominican Republic.- A young man who was diving in the zone Las Malenas near this resort town was devoured by a shark Monday morning, according to the Police and the Navy.

The victim of the rare attack, Pedrito Pinales, 21, was found completely mutilated by a Navy patrol boat floating in the Caribbean, in front of the beach.

He was known as a competent diver and resided 47 kilometers east of Santo Domingo on the Easter Motorway, in the rural area Las Malenas, said the authorities.

Pinales’ colleagues said they had warned him several times on the presence of sharks in that zone, but ignored them arguing that he wasn’t afraid of them.
-----------

Isn't it possible something went wrong and he may have been bitten after drowning?

I'm wondering what kind of shark. If he was attacked it was a super rare occurence. I'm guessing it would have been a tiger or bull since it was in tropical waters. Was he diving alone? That's a huge no-no.

I'm wondering what kind of shark. If he was attacked it was a super rare occurence. I'm guessing it would have been a tiger or bull since it was in tropical waters. Was he diving alone? That's a huge no-no.

What makes diving alone a "huge no-no"? Is there some local thing against solo diving or are you just saying that because OW divers aren't "solo trained"?

Regarding the actual death, is it likely we'll see any more information or details on this?

I'm wondering what kind of shark. If he was attacked it was a super rare occurence. I'm guessing it would have been a tiger or bull since it was in tropical waters. .

I might have guessed tiger or bull shark, too, but would add "oceanic white tip". There's a recent bit on an attack of 4 swimmers in the Red Sea by an oceanic white tip.

While I know this may sound strange, just because the paper is using the word "Diver" that does not necessarily mean "Scuba Diver". Until we know for sure the person was on Scuba we must still hold the option open that he was free-diving and could have been hit while floating on the surface. Also, nothing stated about spear-fishing and/or chum in the water. All these possibilities could drastically raise the chances for shark attack.

The attack does not necessarily surprise me as much as the "completely mutilated" comment. Shark "nibbles" are not too uncommon but wholesale eating is. Strange!

One of the comments in it someone is saying he was actually killed by gangs then thrown in the water?? No idea if theres any truth to that.

What makes diving alone a "huge no-no"? Is there some local thing against solo diving or are you just saying that because OW divers aren't "solo trained"?

Regarding the actual death, is it likely we'll see any more information or details on this?

I should have said it's a dangerous practice i.e. you can black out, run out of air, get attacked by a shark etc. I just think of it as a risky practice where your odds of getting injured or killed go way up. Just my .02 cents.

It could have been an oceanic whitetip, but don't they typically roam open waters? Not to say they can't go near shore, but it's probably rare. I know they have attacked a lot of people.

I should have said it's a dangerous practice i.e. you can black out, run out of air, get attacked by a shark etc. I just think of it as a risky practice where your odds of getting injured or killed go way up. Just my .02 cents.

It could have been an oceanic whitetip, but don't they typically roam open waters? Not to say they can't go near shore, but it's probably rare. I know they have attacked a lot of people.

By that reasoning you should never drive a car alone

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom