2 divers dead in Dominican Republic (Feb 9th)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don’t know the divers in question, and have no first hand knowledge of this incident... I will only say that historically, we have seen that non cave diving instructors have fallen victim to what is a deceptively understated danger on several occasions. Unfortunately, We could come up with a long list of divers who “knew better” but still found themselves in way over their heads at the worst possible moment.
You've missed an important part from my quote.
You've missed "or better, what I hope" because I really hope that an instructor doesn't behave like that...
But unfortunately, as you said, the world is not a perfect place.
...and also, he was italian, so for many of us rules are not really rules, but mostly guidelines.

...and?
What do they say?

At this morning there was only some preliminary info of the first two search dives before the suspension, one witness reported seeing them going in with single back tanks and one of the two had an additional tank clipped to the front.
I can't believe Carlo to be so stupid.

sent you a PM.

Google Translate

(VIDEO) They find corpse of one of the two missing Italian divers in El Dudú cave

The Dominican Republic Speleological Society (DRSS) reported that Tuesday afternoon found the body of one of the two Italian divers reported missing last Saturday in the depths of El Dudú cave, located in the municipality of Cabrera, María Trinidad Sánchez province , northeast of the Dominican Republic.

Phillip Lehman and Ángel Comprés, of the DRSS, together with the French resident in the country, Denis Bourret, cave diving instructor, explored the area to verify the visibility of the water in the area where the divers were suspected.

Because the visibility was a little better, they were able to locate one of the bodies. It is presumed that the other could be very close.

In a statement they reported that unfortunately the search was stopped on Tuesday because visibility was lost.

"A guideline has been placed from the entrance of the cave to where the first body is, and it will wait until the water clears again to look for the second one," the DRSS reported.

The statement said that it is planned to do another exploration dive on Thursday, to locate the other missing diver.

In the search we work with the Emergency Operations Center (COE), the Armed Forces and other state aid and security agencies.

Translation for the video from our Spanish friends...

"This happened in Dominican Republic in a cave system that's connected. Two experts divers are lost in that place. One have been found at 200 meters of the entrance of the cave. The other one is still lost but they think his body will be ahead of the first one. Looks like they didn’t pay attention to the signs of not diving after an specific point considered extremely dangerous. Both divers were Italians."

"The place is considered a paradise for divers because has more than 700 meters tunnels connecting two lakes."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom