2 divers dead in Dominican Republic (Feb 9th)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if the DRSS says they were not certified it is unfrotunately quite a big question mark, I know very well it can be interpreted in different ways.. I am still hoping he WAS indeed certified...
There is a big difference between saying some diver did a big mistake and someone you trusted did a BIG mistake.. :(
yes, it sounds very unclear, and I'm try to register to the cave forum to find out better...
meanwhile, I've read more italian news about the incident and they report the same
what it sounds weird to me (or better, what I hope) is that a qualified instructor doesn't dive without certifications: he would know better...

I can't register to the Cave forum because it doesn't work.
Can anyone copy and paste?
Thanks.

This is totally senseless and at least one of the divers was married with little children. This has been a problem for years in the DR and Phillip Lehman has received almost no support from the agencies whose instructors and affiliated shops are promoting these activities.

I can't register to the Cave forum because it doesn't work.
Can anyone copy and paste?
Thanks.

So far it is just a report of the search so far, nothing really concrete yet.

First I am always surprised when a scuba diver - who isn't cave trained - thinks he/she/they will be ok in a cave. Even more surprising they go in with a single tank. Caves are beautiful places, I understand the desire for a scuba diver to want to go there. But unless you are trained and have the correct gear on - it becomes a deceptively easy place to make a mistake and die. You can easily make a mistake and not even know its a mistake and be dead just not know your dead yet. Please don't go in caves unless you are cave trained.

First I am always surprised when a scuba diver - who isn't cave trained - thinks he/she/they will be ok in a cave. Even more surprising they go in with a single tank. Caves are beautiful places, I understand the desire for a scuba diver to want to go there. But unless you are trained and have the correct gear on - it becomes a deceptively easy place to make a mistake and die. You can easily make a mistake and not even know its a mistake and be dead just not know your dead yet. Please don't go in caves unless you are cave trained.
1) is not clear if they were qualified or not
2) nothing is known about their gear

I wouldn't jump so quickly to a conclusion. :wink:

...... is that a qualified instructor doesn't dive without certifications: he would know better...

I don’t know the divers in question, and have no first hand knowledge of this incident... I will only say that historically, we have seen that non cave diving instructors have fallen victim to what is a deceptively understated danger on several occasions. Unfortunately, We could come up with a long list of divers who “knew better” but still found themselves in way over their heads at the worst possible moment.

can you please copy and paste here?
the site doesn't allow me to register...

Sorry, but if Phillip wanted his comments broadcasted outside of the CDF, I am sure he would have done so already. It is actually pretty rare for divers directly involved in a recovery to release any information this soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom