Possum Kingdom: Thoughts and Opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlackKnightDY

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Was just wondering what the Swampers think about diving at Possum Kingdom and what places on the lake do you think are best to dive (in terms of visibility, interest, and treasure hunting) in the event I ever go there?

There are numerous threads on this one, but here goes the short version:

If you plan to dive Lake PK, best to have a boat. There are practically no shore diving sites at PK unless you count the state park, and vis there is generally poor.
Treasure hunting inside Hell's Gate is strickly a low vis proposition (yet it's one of my favorite dives...once in a while.
I enjoy diving just inside the mouth of Governor's Cove, near the dam. Last weekend, the vis was low for the first 25 feet, but improved as we moved deeper (although colder...about 51 degrees at 51 feet).
Other good sites include the north wall near lake marker 12 and I've heard there are some on the opposite side from there.
In short, some will tell you there is no good diving at PK. I beg to differ and enjoy getting out there a couple of times per year.

p.s. Take all the air you need...from what I can tell there is no place to get fills anywhere near the lake.

Have fun!

When we did the clean up dive at Hell's Gate 2 weekends ago, the viz was actually pretty decent, 8-10' easy & better in some spots, until you got into an area that other diver's had gone through and stirred it up pulling the trash up. A dive light would be beneficial as it was a tad dark down there but you could still see with no problems.

You will need a dive flag any where you go on the lake and you will still need to maintain some good site awareness as the boaters are generally incompetent when it comes to recognizing a dive flag and knowing to stay away from it.

Is the clean up dive a regular event at PK?

I believe it's an annual event kind of like Trashfest down on the Comal. That said, I've never even been to PK much less dove their. Never been to Trashfest either, but I'm thinking I'm going to try and make it this year since I'll be freshly certified and looking for diving opportunities.

The PK cleanup event is hosted by International Scuba every year. It's free, you get to do a boat dive and enjoy the scenery. They do ask that you make a donation if you can to cover fuel costs for the people who volunteer their boats. Non-divers are also welcome as surface support is needed to help pick up the trash from surfacing divers and take it the trash barge which the Brazos River Authority provides.

Post-dive they have some eats and it has been enjoyable. The diving is usually max depth of 40' or so and it is OK for junior divers as well as adults. I would offer a guesstimate that there were several new divers there the past 2 years we have done it.

Back
Top Bottom