Post your Boast! (Pics of your catch)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Visibility was not great but we had a great time on board the Plunger with capt. Rod

Attachments

• S5000293.jpg
    S5000293.jpg
    401.7 KB · Views: 362
here are some pics from this years mini season

Attachments

• ft pierce 08 004.jpg
    ft pierce 08 004.jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 156
  • ft pierce 08 011.jpg
    ft pierce 08 011.jpg
    406.4 KB · Views: 226
  • ft pierce 08 013.jpg
    ft pierce 08 013.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 166
Wow, Giant bug! I missed the mini season this year, what were the #'s like? Slow like last year or was every one getting the limits?

i heard one boat having 10 on the first day with 4 people on it. seemed like there were a lot with eggs, my first time doing mini season, and first real time lobstering, we only got a few, but that was the best,m there was one there that was bigger also. hopefully i'll get to go again next year. dan

Dan,

Do not know where you were diving but if you are diving West Palm it was not bad this year. It was not as good as past mini seasons but my wife and I got over 50 bugs.

For the past 40 years I normally only dive off of my boat but it is not worth hauling my boat to the keys for mini season so for about the past 3-4 years I take it easy and my wife and I dive off a cattle boat in West Palm. I have been taking students there for years to drift dive.

It is really the best diving you can get for the dollars today.

A hint..NOT all boats are really good for catching lobsters. A lot of them take you to the "pretty" fishey spots but guess what... NO lobster there!

My wife and I do the Midnight dive and then back to the motel for a 1 hour cat nap and then back to the boat by 6;00 A.M. for three more dives and then two more again in the afternoon.
We repeat it the second day.

BUT the boat we go out on ONLY takes a max of 12 and not 20 or more like most of the boats plus the crew goes out and scouts for lobster for 3 days before seaons looking for where the bugs are. Most of the really good lobster diving is in about 90-100 feet the past 3 years and most of the time it is not what you would call pretty bottom. A lot of sand sometimes and all the lobster are in small little rocks. Some rocks less then 3 feet across I will pull 6 or more keepers out of . (nick name lobster hotel)

The Boat we dive on is OceanQuest Scuba which is a yellow Island Hopper. The crew also catch a lot of bugs and then they give them out free to the divers on that trip. I never take the free ones but I helped clean the crews catch and they gave out 20 extra tails to the new divers who might only had 4 or 5 tails that trip.

The have the same divers year after year for the mini but you might be able to get on the second day.. I know we always book it a year in advance.

I have seen the boat max out (over 144 bugs) on a trip.

Good luck!

well mike, this is my first time doing mini season, and really my first time actually lobstering. this is some great info, i do appreciate it. maybe i'll get over there some time this season and see if i can't get a few more. talk to you later. dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom