Post your Boast! (Pics of your catch)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You did good for a first time Dan.. It is like spearfishing .. I tell people it takes about 3 years before you get really good and that is if you go ever week Like I do. By good I mean shooting several big grouper on most of your dives. The two of us would average 150-250 pounds a trip. I have over 5,000 dives just spearfishig in the Gulf. It is a Blast! And it only gets better and better as you get better and better.

Hoping to go out tomorrow but looks like we might get blown away. Was rough out there Tuesday.
Going back to dive Sat and Sun in West Palm with wife and friends. I want to just shoot video but wife wants to catch bugs!! God I love her!

Good luck catching the bugs. Remember a good boat and a smart Captain make all the difference.

M.

thanks mike, where in the gulf do you go out of, i usually go out of st james city area, or boca grande pass. i may get a chance to go out sunday, next saturday i am going out of bradington with scubaquest for a 4 tanker for the first time, hope i do good. later, dan

Tarpon Springs area. I have numbers form south of the shipping channel coming out of Tampa Bay to north of Homosassa and all thru the middle grounds. Over a 1,000 good spearfishing spots. Because we really have a good bottom machine we normally find 5-10 new spots a trip. We get about 60-70% percent of the fish we shoot off of the new spots we find each trip.

I used to compete in all the tournaments and have over a 100 big trophies from all of them. The Best trophy is the gold and diamond one I have that I wear around my neck from winning the St. Pete Open as diver of the day. We had a 1,000 pounds of Jacks we shot in less then 3 hours.

IF you get a chance to do a middle ground spear fishing trip do it. We normally take a commercial boat with a 4,000 pound fish box and leave Thursday and get back to the dock Monday A.M.
That is about the best spear fishing I know of.

Also have some killer spots South of Key West in a area called Rebecca Shoals.

In between there and Key West is a area we would get a 100 to 200 bugs a day.. The water is dirty because of Mel Fisher digging but lots of bugs.

Dive mostly with my wife and students now. Do a lot of video and teaching. Getting ready to buy another 30 foot commercial boat that can take out 12 divers at a time if any one wants to go diving. My web site is Welcome to Mike's Private Scuba Lessons!

Good luck on your trip and shoot lots of big fish and let us know how you do.

M.

didn't get to go out, trips were cancelled for weather. tropical storm fay. that bitch! would love to go to the middle grounds sometime, usually off on mondays, so i could go out friday night and get back monday sometime if a trip ever comes up

Spearfishing wise, i only believe there one kind of spear gun fishing, which is done whilst free diving :wink: Using our otherwise beloved "respirators" to catch fish is no fun, at least not in my book. None the less, some very nice catches in this thread, grats to all on their catches!

Anyways, were a bunch of guys in Denmark who do this around the city of Aarhus. So, this year, a bunch of the lads decided to go to Norway to spearfish, they were hoping for some Atlantic Halibut, and some Anarhichadidae aka wolffish. Unfortunately i couldn't come, but when i saw this thread, i just need to share my friends big catches !

Christian Ottosen was the luckiest of them id say, since he caught the biggest fish of each species ...

Here are the pictures !

Thats a 11.8 KG Wolffish, caught at 12 meters in 5 degree celcious "warm" water around Bodø in Norway.

This is a 43.5 KG Atlantic Halibut thats 144 centimeters long, caught same place as the wolffish, only at around 9 meters deep.

If you'd like to read more, you'd have to understand danish :( but our small spearfishing society is found at http://www.naknemo.dk/ (which means "Kill Nemo" in English .. hehe)

Hey Knuspar,

That wolf fish is one ugle fish! Say my Parents are from Denmark, Fyn to be kind of specific. I've never been and now with my own family won't get to visit anytime soon. How is the diving over there, very curious?

Hey Knuspar,

That wolf fish is one ugle fish! Say my Parents are from Denmark, Fyn to be kind of specific. I've never been and now with my own family won't get to visit anytime soon. How is the diving over there, very curious?

Compared to ie. Florida .. its cold :) Full wetsuits all year, in the summer time a 5-4-3 mm can do, i prefer a 7mm semi-dry though. Not that much color underwater as florida either, but theres some quite interesting sealife in denmark as well. I guess when one is used to it, and find it boring, others find it interesting :)

On the western side of Fyn, theres a small strait called Lillebælt, theres some pretty heavy currents there ( compared to danish standards) and its ~80 meters deep where its deepest, theres some pretty nice drift diving possibility's on the Fyn side of the strait :)

Can I play, too? It's not Florida but we get some good fish here, too.

I didn't get to go out (someone had to work) but hubby brought home some good fish the other day...the cats were thrilled!
IMG_16511.jpg

IMG_1652.jpg

Hopefully we'll be getting a lot more to add as summer comes around :)

Great to get an international feel on this. I dove saturday in an inland Canadian lake, so dark you couldn't see past your arm (very mineral rich water, heavy on the iron content). I was hoping to see so big Northern Pike or Pickeral but way to dark. Water around 50 degrees below 20 ft, face went numb almost instantly, thank goodness for my 7mm. What I wouldn't give for a nice drysuit!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom