Practice Dumping your in-line AltAir+Inflator - a Note to Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good for you, but the average octo/inflator owner still has to either leave the BC as well as the reg or take the thing off the BC for service, that's what I meant about complicating service. As far being able to inflate your BC faster, that's hardly an advantage, is it? How about in a HP seat failure that results in free-flow through the inflator, or a stuck inflator valve...does having your BC uncontrollably fill up even faster sound like a good thing?

If you have a standard inflator serviced, it will still be attached to the bc, just like and alternate.

If you have a HP seat failure in your first stage, you're second stage and Air2 should vent from over pressure long before your bc starts "auto-inflating"

This whole thread is a perfect example of why I think alternate/inflators are a bad idea. The LAST thing any brand-new diver needs is complication with ascending while air sharing.

And there's almost zero value to them vis-a-vie 'streamlining.' .

Says you.

I simply never have a student trap a hose under any gear no matter what they are practicing when they are using Air2s.

With regular octos it is a requirement to check all the hoses for trapping, and long hoses are even worse.

In real life, people diving with Air2s never have to check where their octo is, and they do not have to clip or fasten anything in place to be streamlined. Of course, most shops do not sell an underarm swivel, and a long hose for the reg in the mouth which is necessary for an Air2 to be as useful as an octo.

I have always dove with an Air2 since I bought my first set of gear 15 years ago. I can't imagine doing it different. But I also have a longer hose and the underarm swivel on my primary.

If you have a standard inflator serviced, it will still be attached to the bc, just like and alternate.

If you have a HP seat failure in your first stage, you're second stage and Air2 should vent from over pressure long before your bc starts "auto-inflating"

Both of these points are true, but regulator service is something that many divers (not me!!!) do annually to keep their warranty, and that does not include getting a LP inflator rebuilt, not should it. Regarding the HP seat failure/IP spike/runaway free flow, sure, the downstream valves in the 2nd stages will probably "give way" much quicker than the schrader-style valve in the LP inflator, but I have personally seen a case where a diver's BC inflated uncontrollably while both 2nds were free flowing. My point is, that having more air flow into the BC bladder is NOT an advantage IMO. Inflator valves do occasionally stick.

I will fully admit that my objection to the whole octo/inflator concept is nothing more than an opinion; obviously this is a subjective topic with all kinds of opinions, hence the million threads and highjacked threads like this one. I've used a few different set ups, (including an air2) and the long hose/bungied necklace octo is by far my preference.

I have always dove with an Air2 since I bought my first set of gear 15 years ago. I can't imagine doing it different. But I also have a longer hose and the underarm swivel on my primary.

Did the shop that sold you the Air2 set that up for you?

My emergency air share procedure for Air2 or an Octo as I dive with both.

• When a diver (me) donates with an Air2/Octo the primary is donated and the Air2/Octo becomes the donors primary. I have a long hose so the victum has plenty of hose to work with. This assures the victim receives a working air source.
  • The AIR2 has a shoulder dump so one does not need to remove the Air2 from the mouth to dump air.
  • Another way to dump is from the BC's rear valve.
  • I would rather be Horizontal during an OOA emergency.
  • Regardless of your thoughts on the Air2, it is not much different than using an Octo as I have on my BP/W.
  • I prefer to dump air from the rear of my BC, and dive in a horz position.

No, I dive with a Sherwood Maximus, comes standard.

Yeah it always struck as strange that Sherwood has always made it so that their Shadow Plus system (which I don't like as much as the Air2 in and of itself) works great out of the box, and basically no ScubaPro dealers ever make sure that Air2 owners are properly equipped with a long under arm hose with a swivel, and turn people out into the world with ridiculous short hose for sharing air because they do not think things through.

(I have a great love for the Maximus for just that reason. If that had not been my first reg, I probably would not have liked the Air2 as much. And the angle for that swivel is perfect. 90 degrees work OK, and 45 degrees works OK, but the sherwood swivel angle is perfect.)

Thanks OP and SteveAD! That is very useful info.

Ironically I just sold both of my Maximus. They were good regulators with the swivel, adjustable etc. but I just don't want to deal with Sherwood anymore.

Funny, I just practiced this today at the quarry before I even saw your post. I have been reading on here about the air2 since it got one. I have a scubapro knighthawk. It came with the air2 but it also has a jet dump valve on the inflator hose.

On my ascent today I switched to the air 2 and practiced dumping on the way up. I had no problem pulling on the inflator hose to dump air from my shoulder valve. It was a good reflief to try because some on the forums made it sound very difficult. I could see how it could be a more complicated procedure without a jet dump valve.

On these same dives I also practiced switching to the air2 just to get a feel for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom